Too many breakdowns in my DJ set - advice? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Drop mixing is your friend. A track doesn't have to start exactly at the beginning, that's one of the (not so?) fundamental concepts of cueing.

Quote Originally Posted by tech2400 View Post
    Start power mixing your music , it will lead you to understand how to eliminate breaks and drops.

Jaskotech.

pleased to be explaining "power mixing"

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    pleased to be explaining "power mixing"
    i think it means start a new track every minute and jump from verse-to-verse with no obvious blend or structure.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

I use my MF3D to get a piece from the track im playing, cut and mash the crap out of it (usually a Vocal piece or Electric Sound) and add a couple of effects to it, whilst bringing in a Build up/Beat from the next track i want to play. Not really eliminating the build up, but creating them where i want them.

Works really well for Dubstep/Electro etc.

Why not just not include the parts you don't like? That's how house and hip hop started... eliminate the parts you don't want of the song,and include the good hooks.

at the end of the day drops and breakdowns are a fundimental part of the song and that moment really makes it what it is... i sometimes edit the track in ableton to take out/shorten the breakdown, or as i dont have a light jock where i play, i have to control the lights myself, so i use lighting to take some of the emphasis off the longish silence.

Quote Originally Posted by tech2400 View Post
    Start power mixing your music , it will lead you to understand how to eliminate breaks and drops.

Jaskotech.
    most people i know myself included hate that.

A.d.dj
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Having been listening to House music and it's variants since 1988 I have found that even many of the non commercial tracks have long break downs much more than there ever used to be. Hardfloor's Acperience in '92/'93 was one of the first I can remember that had a long breakdown that went into a big crescendo. It was new and very exciting, and actually way better crafted than much of what you get today.

The whole long b-down thing is very annoying and shows a lack of imagination. Most breaks don't have the energy to dance through.
    Thank god for cue points

BTW, I find Techno generally has less breaks

Tech Mentor

As stated, cue points, don't start the song at the beginning, loop the outgoing beat, bring the incoming track with no drums in, then when the build starts, filter out the beat or fade it down. Also, there are alot of edits available that have the beat and go right into the first chorus. Get creative, loops are your friend, filters are your friend, effects are your friend.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast