Amplified pa speakers for home usage?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Amplified pa speakers for home usage?

Hi,
    I was curious as to whether pa speakers could be used as strictly home audio speakers period. Not for mixing, or any studio work. Just as a set of amplified home speakers to run into my boombox. I do it with computer speakers. I do it with near sound monitors. So if I run pa speakers into my boombox will it sound as good as either of th eother types? I see many have very high amp. ratings so I wonder if this might blow out a small music system? I also wonder about how people are saying these pa amplified speakers tend to accentuate bass. Is this the case on all? I am specifically looking for a natural sound (similar to monitors) but with less bass and an accentuation of highs. I usually do that with eq's on my speakers, etc. But i do not want anything that is going to be bass heavy even after I turn bass down to nothing with an eq. I want a pretty flat sound with very high frequencies high in the mix. Call it tinny. Call it trebly. Call it harsh. Call it bright. That is what I like, I am an audiophile. I don't want anything else. So will pa amplified speakers give me the sound I desire? Which brand/model will do so and also have the eq on it. And will they put out a better sound (to my needs) than an amplified 'studio monitor' that I am already used to having. I have behringer, numark, and alesis monitors at home btw. And my price range will not exceed $300 for a pair of speakers. I want 2 obviously, not this single speaker crap I see.
    thanks
    s

You will not find anything worth a crap in PA speakers for $300/pair.

Have you looked into better studio monitors like the KRK's?

For taking out the bass maybe just get an equalizer for the speakers you have already?

Tech Mentor

an "audiophile" wouldn't be asking this question...

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by dj matt blaze View Post
    an "audiophile" wouldn't be asking this question...
    x2 lol

You are the polar opposite of an audiophile, it seems. Get yourself a pair of Behringer Truths or KRK's, mash the EQ's to your heart's content and call it a day.

PS I highly thought about putting the below quote in a signature. lol

But i do not want anything that is going to be bass heavy even after I turn bass down to nothing with an eq. I want a pretty flat sound with very high frequencies high in the mix. Call it tinny. Call it trebly. Call it harsh. Call it bright. That is what I like, I am an audiophile.
    Last edited by sss18734; 08-26-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Tech Mentor

This thread is full of win!

Tech Convert

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ollin View Post
    This thread is full of win!
    I asked specific questions. If you don't have a worthwhile answer to them, don't fucking reply. Pretty simple. I will call my fucking self what i want because I am a connoisseur in getting the sound I desire and don't care if it matches your fucking wants or needs. Or how you want to label your own elite interests. It is how I listen and what I need to enjoy the fucking music. You don't like it, again don't reply. Refer back to msg #1 and give me construcive answers to my questions if you have the experience/expertise/ knowledge to do so, otherwise you know where the door is...

Tech Convert

Hi,
    I was curious as to whether pa speakers could be used as strictly home audio speakers period. Not for mixing, or any studio work. Just as a set of amplified home speakers to run into my boombox. I do it with computer speakers. I do it with near sound monitors. So if I run pa speakers into my boombox will it sound as good as either of th eother types? I see many have very high amp. ratings so I wonder if this might blow out a small music system? I also wonder about how people are saying these pa amplified speakers tend to accentuate bass. Is this the case on all? I am specifically looking for a natural sound (similar to monitors) but with less bass and an accentuation of highs. I usually do that with eq's on my speakers, etc. But i do not want anything that is going to be bass heavy even after I turn bass down to nothing with an eq. I want a pretty flat sound with very high frequencies high in the mix. Call it tinny. Call it trebly. Call it harsh. Call it bright. That is what I like, I am an audiophile. I don't want anything else. So will pa amplified speakers give me the sound I desire? Which brand/model will do so and also have the eq on it. And will they put out a better sound (to my needs) than an amplified 'studio monitor' that I am already used to having. I have behringer, numark, and alesis monitors at home btw. And my price range will not exceed $300 for a pair of speakers. I want 2 obviously, not this single speaker crap I see.
    thanks
    s

Tech Mentor

go on over to gearslutz.com and post the exact same thing, they are very friendly and they will know a lot better what kind of speakers would be good for you, much more knowledgable then a bunch of 2 bit DJs.....

Quote Originally Posted by matt blaze
    go on over to gearslutz.com
    This advice is PERFECT for you, sean2222.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Your question is OK, but there's no need to try and pass yourself off as an elitist "audiophile," because by definition, you are not. An audiophile strives for perfectly linear frequency response - You like heavy EQ's.

You can achieve your desires with literally any speaker. Just get a 31 band EQ and play with it. Yes, you can use PA equipment, but why?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast