Monitoring pre-fx in Traktor
    Tech Wizard

Default Monitoring pre-fx in Traktor

meh. not to t00t my own horn but I spend a lot time practicing w/ the fx in traktor. Not just adding delay and beatmasher here and there.. but using all four fx units in combination to make my own risers and breakdowns etc..

Anyway, what I noticed is that in order to make really intense and completely twisted buildups you kind of lose track of the original song and what its doing. I mapped a button on my K2 that kills all FX and kills the FX assigns when I wanna drop the song back in and lose all the fx. However I can't really hear when to bring in back in since my monitoring monitors post effects. IF, somehow, I could monitor pre-fx I could know when,, NAY!, in fact I could actually re-cue the song at the drop and take as long as I'd like to drop it back in.. OH shit thats cool

SO.. preFX monitor.. how?, internal/external mixing// wha??? how..

anyone?

There is no pre fx monitoring as far as i know. What you want is obtainable, but only by using workarounds : the one you wrote about, or you could map a button to duplicate the track you are "effecting" to let's say deck c and have it turn the cue monitoring for deck c at the same time, then you just do your thing, listening for where you are with deck c cueing.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneapemob View Post
    There is no pre fx monitoring as far as i know. What you want is obtainable, but only by using workarounds : the one you wrote about, or you could map a button to duplicate the track you are "effecting" to let's say deck c and have it turn the cue monitoring for deck c at the same time, then you just do your thing, listening for where you are with deck c cueing.
    This is the only option I know of.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    This is the only option I know of.
    Look at the waveform...no? If you know your tracks then the visual should be enough.... I dont think your ear should be taken away from what your effects are sounding like..... especially if your mashing so many

more fx = greater posibility of it sounding like garbage.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

On cdj's 2000's if ive got a slightly hectic transition going with two tracks some effects and also transiting the lows I will be looking back and forth between the 2 cdj's (a little like someone watching tennis) whilst still counting in my head. I play with CDJ 900's at home so I dont rely so much on waveform, but my brain wants to automatically make use of all the information when its availiable...its not a conscious thing, i noticed it just happens.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Quote Originally Posted by narrah View Post
    more fx = greater posibility of it sounding like garbage.
    yeah seriously I got a headache just from reading about all those effects in the post
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    yeah seriously I got a headache just from reading about all those effects in the post
    That's a shame .. because most producers and plenty of DJ's make proper use of effect CHAINS (4 when necessary) to create nice, unique, signature, transitions and moments that enhance and manipulate the energy of the set / experience.

It's gonna sound like garbage when you don't know what you're doing .. of course.
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

#RESPECT

It takes a while to figure out what effects to stack and how. I recommend hours of playing around with not just effects, but their parameters too.