In a crunch

Thread: In a crunch

Default In a crunch

so i got asked to dj a bday party for my friend, and the setup they have at the house is pretty decent: small 3 channel mixer, pretty good rack amp, and two small unpowered speakers. only problem is, all the gear is wired into a back closet, and i'm going to be djing in the main room, about 100ft away. i have a friend who was going to loan me his rack amp and mixer that was previously used for djing, but i'm not banking on it since it's really indefinite. so the setup i have to work with is two unpowered speakers (don't know the wattage, but they're kind of old and not very big, probably about 2.5' tall). now, this is going to seem pretty dumb to a lot of you, but i'm desperate for solutions, so..

(deep breath)

can i run these into my firebox and have decent sound? or is it just simply not even close to the power i'm going to need?
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Hate to be the one to tell you but you're SOL on that one man . I'm sure there's a company around that does equipment rentals . To rent just an amp should be under $50 .

that's not as bad as i was expecting actually. i thought it would be a bank buster. thanks for the confirmation on the situation though.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Yeah you definantly need an amp to drive the speakers with - one of your friends might have one you can use though.

So the speakers are currently hooked up to the amp in the back closet? Do you have a mixer with XLR outs? Maybe get some long XLR cables and run back to the mixer?

give dillinja a call
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "