Need Equipment Recommendations
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Need Equipment Recommendations

Hey everyone, I'm new to DJ'ing and I got a couple questions.

My goal is to do it for fun and occasional gigs at schools. I love entertaining people. Maybe if I get good, I'll do it for extra $$

I've played with virtual DJ and mixed some electronic music. But so far, VERY basic stuff.

I need to know what my next step is. I've looked at equipment (mp3 mixers, I don't want CD's) and seen everything from $100 USB Hercules mixers to $1000 Pioneer's...

I want to buy something that I can learn on at home, and still use at small (emphasis on small) events to make people shake their asses. I don't want to buy something I'll outgrow in a month, but something decent I'll appreciate for a while...

Please recommend some equipment... Also, is Traktor software better than Virtual DJ? I'm looking to mix electronic music (house, techno, etc.)

Thanks in advance!!

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith View Post
    Also, is Traktor software better than Virtual DJ? I'm looking to mix electronic music (house, techno, etc.)
    VDJ is easier at a beginner level
    Traktor is easier at an intermediate level
    VDJ is better at an advanced level

The best controller in price, construction and controls IMO is the Reloop TM2/4
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Regardless, I would try out both VDJ and Traktor's demos before buying. Same goes for controllers. If you can, go to a shop and test out all the different controllers. Get something with a built in soundcard too
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    In your opinion...

If you're already using VDJ then stick with it, unless there's a reason you don't like it?
    As for a controller - they all do similar stuff so it's personal choice really, the reloop looks ok, S2 is good value, mixtrack pro gets good reviews here
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

There are a gazillion videos on youtube for every controller and for every software program. Figure out what it is you want to do as a DJ, do your research, do comparisons and pick what you feel will be the best fit for you. None of us here can tell you what you want to do nor will we do the research for you, all your answers are out there, do the research.

nope that's fact

Please don't do this again. We just had an entire thread that was hijacked with Traktor vs VDJ argument.

Try out all the software, see what you like.

As for equipment, I recommend using the search function to find the in-depth threads already made about this, but personally I recommend the Mixtrack Pro. Cheap, cheerful and everything you need to get started.

the other threads title was Traktor Vs. VDJ there was no hijacking... that question was asked by the OP, I just responded with knowledge based on my experience...

I wouldn't recommend the mixtrack pro, it's plastic, breakable, small 7bit pitchfader, the effects knobs are encoders and worst of all the soundcard is not low latency ASIO.

The OP asked for a controller that he would not grow out of immediately... the reloop is a solid construction, has more buttons and knobs than the mixtrack, has large 14bit pitchfaders, better jogs, awesome crossfader a 4in 4out ASIO Soundcard "line/phone in & mic in" that you can route through "some" software, and it's not much more expensive than the mixtrack pro... That sounds like something that he will not grow tired of or break very quickly.

Banned

nope that's fact
    ^truth.

Although I dunno if beginner, intermediate, advanced is the right way of explaining it. Simply because it's not a progression, like it should be. Most DJs decide to stay at the "intermediate" level, and are happy to just spend their lives doing 64-128 beat transitions on two decks, and pride themselves on how well they use filters.... Only about 10% of DJs, even on this forum, are advanced enough, or even want to be advanced enough, to benefit from VDJ.

Also I think the difference between picking up the basics on VDJ VS Traktor are negligable... Honestly I'd skip VDJ until

Although I'd say the differences in learning traktor VS VDJ are close to negligible. Honestly I'd say just learn on Traktor. If you have interest in doing performance stuff, rather than just transitioning, get good at it on traktor, then switch to VDJ.... probably 5 years later.

As far as hardware goes. do your own research... fuck.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/CMD-STUDIO-4A.aspx

You get one suggestion from me. If you're willing to way, that comes out in november, is $200, and looks like it'll be better than just about any 2 channel controller on the market. (despite being made by behringer, lawl)

nope that's fact
    Nope that's opinion.

I wouldn't recommend the mixtrack pro, it's plastic, breakable, small 7bit pitchfader, the effects knobs are encoders and worst of all the soundcard is not low latency ASIO.
    Never tried one to be honest but it get's a lot of recommendations on here - never seen any saying it's broken but if so then fair point.
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast