copyright - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: copyright

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Blame the record companies and artists that forced this to happen. Frankly speaking I would not mind paying $.01 per each song my mix contains when uploading mixes so I could support starving producers.
    Personally I think that sets a bad precedent. I'd rather find better ways to compensate the artists than destroying fair use rights for DJs. Besides it wouldn't be .01 per song; it would be .01 per song per listener (as measured by IP addresses connecting and streaming the song). Such a model would quickly make any kind of internet radio station prohibitively expensive, except for the major labels - which is exactly what major labels would love to see. I think the best way to support artists and producers is the way we always have - buy their music, tell other people to buy their music, and when they ask you "what was that cool song you played that goes "untz untz aye macarena," tell them where they can get it. Ideally directly from the artist if possible.... But the problems associated with the major companies using copyright laws to destroy independent artists are too complex to be solved by imposing fees (however reasonable) on DJs making mixtapes, in my opinion.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Personally I think that sets a bad precedent. I'd rather find better ways to compensate the artists than destroying fair use rights for DJs. Besides it wouldn't be .01 per song; it would be .01 per song per listener (as measured by IP addresses connecting and streaming the song). Such a model would quickly make any kind of internet radio station prohibitively expensive, except for the major labels - which is exactly what major labels would love to see. I think the best way to support artists and producers is the way we always have - buy their music, tell other people to buy their music, and when they ask you "what was that cool song you played that goes "untz untz aye macarena," tell them where they can get it. Ideally directly from the artist if possible.... But the problems associated with the major companies using copyright laws to destroy independent artists are too complex to be solved by imposing fees (however reasonable) on DJs making mixtapes, in my opinion.
    Sure. But as I said, I would not mind paying a tax for using tracks in mixes for uploads -- directly to the producer/artist of course -- I think it's time we compensated the underground dance music producers for all the music uploaded with zero royalty payments unlike radio.

And I assume we purchase music that is on sale instead of ripping it from pirate sites for mixes, right? That's the least we could with mixes with no royalties getting back to the originators...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12