Drum & Bass Traktor users (and Dubstep Traktor users too)
    Tech Mentor

Default Drum & Bass Traktor users (and Dubstep Traktor users too)

With my primary genre of choice being DnB, I love seeing my 170+ BPM labels on my tracks, however, I feel that using Traktors effects tend to give them a "busier" feeling than I like.

Ive been experimenting with cutting the tempo in half i.e. 85ish BPM instead and found that the effects sound better and I can work them in easier. The same tempo change works well with Dubstep too, giving the effects more time to "breathe".

So my question is, for those of you who spin either genre, what do you like to use when setting the BPM of the track within Traktor?

Also, as a follow up question, does anyone know of a way to hotkey a BPM edit from full ("normal) tempo to half tempo using an S4?

Do you mean slowing the song by half, or keeping the same tempo and setting the displaying BPM lower?
    Reason 5 - Traktor Pro 2.5 - HP G62 Dual Core 2.33 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Banned

Traktor? Drum & Bass?
    Thats me!

I actually use what you're talking about ALL the time, but I use it for half-timing to glitch hop mainly. I'll explain how to map it in a minute.

But which effects are you using that are tempo-dependant which would benefit from being half timed? I definitely know what you mean about effects seeming too busy for drum and bass. I use tons of effects with other genres. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I only play some genres so that I can GET to use a lot of effects. But DnB? Which effects do you use? I use a modified version of Armyofome's Sweep/Drama knob (google it.... seriously... best effect combo EVER) and the echo freeze a TON.... But other than that, I don't use many effects when I spin DnB. I'd love to get inspiration... How do you use them...?

Anyways, to map something to half/double the tempo, the command is
    track BPM> BPMx2
    and
    track BPM> BPM/2

I've got the middle two rows on the numpad on my laptop mapped to double/half the bpm for the track in each of the four decks individually.

I was actually recently thinking about switching to using the offset buttons on my S4 to do this, but haven't gotten around to it. If you know modifiers, here's how it would be done:

Map the offset up/down buttons to half/double the tempo on deck A IF modifier(x) is set to 1, and also map them to do the same to deck B if modifier(x) is set to 2. Then map a modifier toggle for modifier (x) from 1 to 2 on your deck switch button. This way it'll half/double time the tempo for whatever deck is currently selected.

Then the same for Deck B/D.

If you can't figure it out, and it's really something you want, let me know and I'll map it and send it to you.
    Last edited by Saurus; 08-28-2012 at 11:57 PM.

I like to mix it up. Sometimes you just need to half it, it just makes it easier to work with.

never really thought about trying this, I tend to use Gater during long continuous synths/ambient breakdowns. Also Delay freeze pretty much works anywhere. Other than that I might use a peak or formant filter but that's about it - Seldom as I have Xone Deck filters.

Now I'm curious though and might give this a go to see what I can come up with.
    also, XY pads for the win!!!
    < Progressive | Trance | Full On Psy | Liquid DnB >
    < Xone:1D:22:2D + Vestax PadOne >

I'm not big on using filters, but I half time the bpm on dnb, mostly because that is where the groove is at and following phrases half timed usually makes more sense. It also allows me to mix into downtempo and trip hop easier, which is a lot of fun and adds variety.

I use the correct BPM. Always.

If an exception occors, I change it on the fly with the mouse (trackpad actually). No biggie.

No big fan of traktors effects. Way too in your face. I counter this by having a mixer that has madness-tier effect possibilities.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus View Post
    Traktor? Drum & Bass?
    Thats me!

I actually use what you're talking about ALL the time, but I use it for half-timing to glitch hop mainly. I'll explain how to map it in a minute.

But which effects are you using that are tempo-dependant which would benefit from being half timed? I definitely know what you mean about effects seeming too busy for drum and bass. I use tons of effects with other genres. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I only play some genres so that I can GET to use a lot of effects. But DnB? Which effects do you use? I use a modified version of Armyofome's Sweep/Drama knob (google it.... seriously... best effect combo EVER) and the echo freeze a TON.... But other than that, I don't use many effects when I spin DnB. I'd love to get inspiration... How do you use them...?

Anyways, to map something to half/double the tempo, the command is
    track BPM> BPMx2
    and
    track BPM> BPM/2

I've got the middle two rows on the numpad on my laptop mapped to double/half the bpm for the track in each of the four decks individually.

I was actually recently thinking about switching to using the offset buttons on my S4 to do this, but haven't gotten around to it. If you know modifiers, here's how it would be done:

Map the offset up/down buttons to half/double the tempo on deck A IF modifier(x) is set to 1, and also map them to do the same to deck B if modifier(x) is set to 2. Then map a modifier toggle for modifier (x) from 1 to 2 on your deck switch button. This way it'll half/double time the tempo for whatever deck is currently selected.

Then the same for Deck B/D.

If you can't figure it out, and it's really something you want, let me know and I'll map it and send it to you.
    Thanks man, ill check to post up a vid of some FX that I use for DnB