DJ Booth Inside a Subwoofer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default DJ Booth Inside a Subwoofer

ok well its not really inside of a subwoofer.

I recently got a gig at a new club opening in my town. This lounge/club has been completely stripped and remodeled. It looks pretty sweet on the inside now. They did a complete upgrade to the sound and light systems and its gunna be sick in there once it opens up. It has a decent sized dancefloor for the area and then plenty of lounge areas for people to sit and talk or dance once the night heats up.

The one problem for me is that the new layout didnt leave much room for a DJ Booth. The "booth" is off to the side of the dancefloor built into the wooden railing for the dancefloor. Also built into this space is one of the two subwoofers for the dancefloor. Sorry I dont have a picture but just visualize a JBL Dual 18" sub with a larger wooden enclosure around it to set it back into the wall and to hide it from view. This leaves me with decent tabletop space for my cdj/mixer/laptop. But im worried about the vibration from basically being on top of the subwoofer.

So my question is, what should I do to protect my stuff from all the vibration? Do I use foam, rubber, ect to lift it up... I would like to bring the turntables eventually but these would be more affected by the vibrations than cdj's.

you have to bring your own tt/cdj´s? wouldn´t that be the clubs job to make sure everything is safe and free from vibrations?
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Wizard

this is a small college town club that is just starting out. for now each dj will have to bring his own setup. i will have 2 cdj's/mixer in a coffin and then my laptop on a crane stand.

from what you're explaining sounds like you would need to put some isolation pads under the coffin ... although i think it's going to be terrible once you start manipulating vinyl. good luck bro

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

CDJs should be safe. i DJed with mine being literally a few centimeters away from a club-level sub without them having any problem whatsoever. if you are still concerned you can always put some sort of foam under your setup to prevent vibrations.

Tech Mentor

Foam won't help you against vibrations...

What you want is mass, combined with measures to uncouple your gear from the desk.

The best solution would be a concrete slab resting on some squash-balls. This may not be a viable solution if you have to bring it to every gig, but if you could talk to the club and/or other DJs to have something like that permanently installed this definetely would work.

As already said, CDJs should be fine, especially if its just 3/4 hours once a week, not gona cause any major damage, plus its inside a padded coffin so youlll be fine, if in doubt, foam pads, bricks, bubble wrap, anything between your coffin and the table should dampen anything.

club i worked in a year ago had a mixer and TTs, and it was a solid wax night, no timecodes. i now value pennies VERY much for keeping the needle down.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

isolation pads.

Did someone say beer coasters ? (or whatever it's called in English)

5 or so under each ttfoot and not even the heaviest of bassweights can affect the stylus. But OP has cdjs, so he 's even safer.

Jack Bastard

We regularly play on a table made of Funktion 1 bassbins, like someone said above, mass is the key. We have a big slab of concrete that we put on top.

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    Did someone say beer coasters ? (or whatever it's called in English)

beer mats

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast