warping with ableton- tips?
    Tech Mentor

Default warping with ableton- tips?

Hey guys

I'm looking for tips for warping with ableton. I just can't seem to get the hang of it at all, its driving me nuts!!! Is it a case of practice, practice and practice when it comes to warping?!

Yup.

Check out youtube.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

What kind of songs are you trying to warp?

First off, turn off the auto-warp large samples in the preferences so you start from scratch.

Some songs are just really tough and you sometimes have to break them up into parts or just warp the section you need.

It is a little bit of black art and practice though.

Tech Guru

it was way easier in previous versions, 5, 6 & 7. no idea why the messed it up in 8
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Turn off the auto warp, load the track in session view. start playing. Tap the aproximate tempo along with the song. Find the first beat of the song. Set the song start marker there. Right click. Warp xxx bpm from here(The bpm on your master tempo afteer you tapped). Correct the warp markers. Generally in EDM you will have tempos like 128.00, 124.00. As everything is quantized by computers you shoudn't encounter much problem.

If not, check out this page. It is fuuuuull of ableton short tips including warping.

http://www.heatercore.net/2010/06/wa...auto-warp.html

I saw recently a lot of YouTube videos about the new warping UI in Ableton Live (I think I'm in the minority as I don't think it was an improvement.). Anyway, mot of them missed the whole idea of the elastic model of warping. I.e. they placed fix warp markers everywhere, worst case every eight bars. Sigh.

If this is a production done with a DAW with a fixed clock, you set a starting point fixed warp marker, adjust the gray ones along the way using a four or eight bar loop and set a final fixed warp mark pointer at the end. Saves a lot of time. Might even warp a typical track in 30 seconds or less. If you know the BPM value, set that in Ableton and the Ableton warp engine does an even better job.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

When you adjust the GREY markers, they are not fixed - they're only fixed if you double click it and turn it YELLOW. If you adjust a YELLOW marker after that GREY one, the GREY marker will move accordingly. Try it. It's like elastic band and drawing pins. You can stretch the elastic band, but unless you pin it down at every point where it changes length, you're not really doing anything.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj