how to get "out there'

Default how to get "out there'

I need help getting my material out the the public. I have a youtube and mixcloud account for my sets and mixes. I havent made a twitter account or fb page cause im not a big dj yet. how did you guys start your careers? what helped? and what do you think i should do?

It's all about promotion. Get your name out there. Take every gig you can get your hands on.

After you feel comfortable with the gigs, start playing a little bit of your music.

Tech Student

Upppp hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!.........

how do i put myself out there to get gigs

Start talking to everyone. Club owners, DJs, promoters, club patrons, friends, anyone interested in the music you play.

Make mixes, burn them to CDs, label the CDs, and leave them on the bus.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Convert

Read and apply books on marketing! I would normally refer you to Guerilla Marketing or something similar, but somebody on DJForums just posted this great DJ Marketing Bible eBook that they wrote and it's a fantastic resource: http://dj-lounge.com/djmarketingbibl...unge_V1.21.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by jgatsby View Post
    Read and apply books on marketing! I would normally refer you to Guerilla Marketing or something similar, but somebody on DJForums just posted this great DJ Marketing Bible eBook that they wrote and it's a fantastic resource: http://dj-lounge.com/djmarketingbibl...unge_V1.21.pdf
    thanks for the link, it looks very useful.

i like the idea of leaving labelled mix cd's or business cards in public places too, has anyone tried this before? if yes what were the results like?

Honestly?

Go to the shows you want to be a part of. All of them, constantly.

Talk to the people in charge. Get involved.

Become a promoter. Work your butt off.

Show people your mixes. Hand out CD's. Have business cards to pass out.

Have something about YOU that makes you stand out from the crowd. It doesn't have to be ridiculous, like Deadmau5's headgear. But have something that people will be able to remember you by. A certain shirt/hat/article of clothing that stands out. Just something. There are SO MANY people, that you need to stick out somehow. (This is personally my opinion on it, I know others differ on this point - but to me, people have terrible memories, and to help them remember you? Priceless).

Eventually, that will put you where you want to be. If you're just looking for a top 40 club gig, I don't know how it works. But really, those are the steps I have been and still am taking.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter