Just a rant. Costs of DJing.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Just a rant. Costs of DJing.

About a year ago I put down $600 to get a Kontrol S2 when it first came out. As a retired DJ which focus was "bedroom DJing", it was a bit on the high side, but what the hell. Now a year out and I am jonsing for the feel of vinyl again, but damn it will cost a small fortune.

For starters trying to dig up SL1200s again is a challenge, at least to find quality units. $500-750 for a descent unit and hope you don't have to repair it.

Then if I were to switch over to SSL (from Traktor) I would need to get a SL2. $500 for that.

Dicers? $100 there

Finally a Rane DVS. TTM56 as a intro unit. $700-800 for that

Oh if I wanted to take it up a notch, bump up to The Bridge and Live. $550.

So my $600 investment from a year ago jumps up to a minimum of $2300, more realistically $3000.

Oh I need a loan.
    DJ Lou Paris

Tech Wizard

Vinyl decks are over-rated, I used them from 2004-2010 and I was so tired of setting serato up in clubs where their decks were in pitiful condition.. which you know means that you bring yours if you want to use them... I just use CDJ1000s with Traktor now.. no calibration needed.

Even if you get the itch to buy new gear, don't.
    Twitter
    Soundcloud
    Beatport Tunes
    EOB | In Da Jungle Rec. | IQ Ent. | Plush Rec. | Point 9 Audio | Rotation Deep | Section 8 | SubDepth | UnitOvOne

Tech Mentor

Thing is I probably the only unit I would probably consider is a DNS3700. I would want the "closest to vinyl" feel I could get. As a hip-hop DJ I am thinking that going CDJ or even the DNS3700 will not get me to where I want. However I am trying not to bias my opinion since I never touched a CDJ or DNS3700. When I DJ'ed with CD's it was with a DN2000F (if I recall correctly).

My negatives with Traktor right now are:

The CPU/Clipping issue since 2.5
    Less than response crossfader for scratching.
    The "soulless" feel of using the controller to scratch

If I use the S2 for just bended mixes with effects, the S2 is a mighty fine unit. For the price it's really awesome. I can do some scratching, but it just seems "off" to me.

Sure I can plunk down nearly $4k for CDJ2000, $1500 for used CDJ1000 or new DVS3700, but will it give me the feedback I want? And if I can't get over the S2 crossfader response go with a high performance crossfader and a X1, yet more money.
    Last edited by ParisCreative; 09-02-2012 at 09:57 AM.
    DJ Lou Paris

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

A single 1200 in "decent" shape goes for $2000 on this side of the world. It can always be worse mate, much worse.

Tech Guru

you can do it for much cheaper than that. I've purchased 1200's on Craigslist with Ortofon carts for 500 the pair. A used SL1 is 250.00 (i sold my SL2 for 350.00) and you can use any mixer with your decks. I had a TASCAM X8 (which is an ecler HAK rebadged) for 140.00 brand new on CL. You can find a good Vestax PMC for 250.00 and instead of dicers I'd get a X1 for 150.00 and you're set.

You could have a decent home DVS system to enjoy for around 1000 bucks if your patient.

but to add to your comments, in general...yeah "real" gear isn't cheap, that's why the entry level has been swarmed by cheap controllers that have led to every kid and his brother saying he's a DJ.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by ParisCreative View Post
    About a year ago I put down $600 to get a Kontrol S2 when it first came out. As a retired DJ which focus was "bedroom DJing", it was a bit on the high side, but what the hell. Now a year out and I am jonsing for the feel of vinyl again, but damn it will cost a small fortune.

For starters trying to dig up SL1200s again is a challenge, at least to find quality units. $500-750 for a descent unit and hope you don't have to repair it.

Then if I were to switch over to SSL (from Traktor) I would need to get a SL2. $500 for that.

Dicers? $100 there

Finally a Rane DVS. TTM56 as a intro unit. $700-800 for that

Oh if I wanted to take it up a notch, bump up to The Bridge and Live. $550.

So my $600 investment from a year ago jumps up to a minimum of $2300, more realistically $3000.

Oh I need a loan.
    Youve just said your a bedroom dj, why you need all this stuff?

Just buy a pair of second hand technics, use your s2 as a mixer and a second hand traktor scratch upgrade. Do you produce? if not theres no need for ableton and the bridge, the bridge is overrated anyway its easy to sync ableton to traktor anyway. Theres loads of cheap options if you bide your time and shop around.

Tech Wizard

Dude!!!! Be glade we're not buying records records anymore. Paying up to $15 for ONE song.....I know 1200s cost is crazy right now, but deals are out there. I missed out on a pair for $300 on craigslist just last week.

15 bucks a record? where were you shopping?

I don't think the cost of Dj'ing has risen to be honest.. You have many more options then you ever did before ranging from $50-$5000+..

The real culprit I think is marketing. They are marketing shit better then ever, and making you "have to have" the newest gear before it even comes out when most peoples setups are more the adequate. I have fallen victim to this myself.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Tech Mentor

If just 2-3 thousands bucks frustrates you, just remember that DJ'ing is NOT that expensive of a hobby. You could always take up... knitting?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast