Hiss On Xone 4D, is it normal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Hiss On Xone 4D, is it normal?

I'm getting to know my way around a newly acquired Xone 4d & I've noticed that there's an audible hiss/slightly static like sound coming through the 4 channels when going through the soundcard as opposed to the phono line in's
    when I move the faders up & no audio is playing.
    So in other words the noise floor appears to be raised when going through the sound card.
    Is this normal or should I have it looked at.

Isn't the xone 4D the most expensive non-custom controller out there? I'd have it looked at....

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Fraktionz View Post
    Isn't the xone 4D the most expensive non-custom controller out there? I'd have it looked at....
    It's not cheap thats for sure! I just loaded the same track into the 4 decks in traktor, looped the same section on each deck & channel 1,2,3 have an audible hiss in the background channel 4 is a lot quieter but it's still there to some extent. Same when I disconnect from the laptop & have no audio running through it.
    Anyone else come across this before

Tech Mentor

Are all the FX settings off (FX1, 2, knobs to the left, LFO off), the gains and the master vol. at sensible levels (both sw and hw)?

Not had my Xone 4D for long so I'm still getting used to it but have found it's really easy to red line it (I say red but it's white on the 4D) and run mine at lower levels than I did with the Mackie D4 Pro.

Tech Mentor

Increase your pre-amp gains (keep it below clipping); decrease your amp gains.

Make sure nothing is in any rediculous setting, re-install the driver, install the latest firmware (just to be sure it's nothing digital).

Mine is dead quiet. I think you have a big chance something's wrong.

The 4D is made out of tons of vertically stacked PCB's. Good chance there is a problem witg a connection if it has had a big shock (fall)
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Tech Convert

Thanks for the tips guys, to the best of my knowledge & experience everything is set at reasonable limits, levels/gains on each channel is set to 0, leds on faders peaking at -6, & leds on master out peaking at - 3. Traktor gains are set at 0, & main out is set at -5.1. Channel 2 seems to be the worst & channel 4 seems to be the quietest.
    With usb disconected & faders down, if I turn the main volume up high, I can still here a "ssshhhh", if I slide the faders up & down a few times the "ssshhh" then starts to get worse in relation to fader position. If I switch to phono the "ssshhh" is still there but the faders have no effect on it.
    Not sure if it's a soundcard problem or maybe even a ground loop sort of problem, think I'll get it looked at first to rule out any issues with the unit before I start looking at power conditioners & the like, any more suggestions are certainly welcome. Thanks

Tech Convert

I can't say I've experienced this kind of problem before with any other gear, in fact I've just hooked up my old set up using a Focusrite Saffire firewire interface from the same powerboard, into the same laptop & there's dead silence, so I don't think there's an issue with "dirty power" supply from my mains, any more suggestions are certainly welcome.

Ground loops humm, they dont hissss.

Did you turn off the crosfader? Old/dirty faders can cause hiss.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Tech Convert

It's a second hand, yet unused machine. The guy who bought it never used it. Thanks for your input though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast