XP Virtual Memory Paging File

Default XP Virtual Memory Paging File

Hey guys hoping some of you huge tech-heads out there can help me with a small problem I'm having.

Recently saw a thread on here that included some optimisation tips for XP and audio programs. I can't find it again for the life of me. But one of the tips included in it was disabling Xp's virtual memory paging file. I did that about 3 weeks ago and since then have been noticing a HUGE amount of crashes. My TPro had never crashed before that. Not once, so I can only assume this is the cause!

Anyone have any idea what the ideal virtual memory paging file size is for TPro? The specs on my lappy are: Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz, 1 gig RAM, Xp service pack 3.

I only use the laptop for Traktor, so I don't care if it completely messes up all other programs functionality, I just want things back the way they were before-hand!
    Oh and the system mananged paging file option seemed to make no difference either.

Thanks in advance

i would say to enable page file & set it to 4098 mb. Thats what I had mine to set to when I used a pc and had minimal issues.

Good luck
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JAC View Post
    Hey guys hoping some of you huge tech-heads out there can help me with a small problem I'm having.

Recently saw a thread on here that included some optimisation tips for XP and audio programs. I can't find it again for the life of me. But one of the tips included in it was disabling Xp's virtual memory paging file. I did that about 3 weeks ago and since then have been noticing a HUGE amount of crashes. My TPro had never crashed before that. Not once, so I can only assume this is the cause!

Anyone have any idea what the ideal virtual memory paging file size is for TPro? The specs on my lappy are: Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz, 1 gig RAM, Xp service pack 3.

I only use the laptop for Traktor, so I don't care if it completely messes up all other programs functionality, I just want things back the way they were before-hand!
    Oh and the system mananged paging file option seemed to make no difference either.

Thanks in advance
    Don't disable paging file.

The paging file *has* to be on, otherwise xp won't work. I learned this the hard way myself. You could have 16GB of ram, and it would still need it enabled, even if it doesn't actually use it. Just another one of the brilliant features of windows (:

Usually 1.5 to 2x your system memory is recommended. Just set inital and max to the same value.

cheers!

m.
    mixes at: http://soundcloud.com/psylozen

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning how to dance in the rain."

here you go dude

Optomizing WinXP for DAWS
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

if someone can find the one in our forums ill put it in the FAQ

@Bento: I think it was just a link to an external article recommended by someone else on here, and judging by what you guys have said above ^^^ it doesn't exactly sound trustworthy or accurate!

That seems to have fixed the problem, cheers everyone!

You should not disable the paging file. Instead, you can just change it under Drive. Select Custom under Paging file size and enter your desired amount. Provide the initial and maximum size for your virtual memory paging file. Finally, click set and restart your computer. Be wary of the initial size and maximum size. You need to choose the same amount in order to stop your CPU from changing the paging file constantly. Set the initial size and maximum size to the same value that is at least 1.5 times more than your physical RAM.

dude, this thread is 7 months old...
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.