Got a writing gig!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Got a writing gig!

Yoyo,
    I now write for EDM Magazine!!! I'm working in the Drum n Bass department doing articles as well as track/promo reviews. It's a new magazine with focused distribution on the West Coast as well as online distribution. Hardcopy circulation is 50,000 prints per issue. My first article is about the NZ drum n bass scene and will be appearing in the next issue of EDM. Best of all, the magazine is free; paid for by advertising revenue.

Speaking of which, if anyone has upcoming releases or parties that they would like advertised in EDM, hit me up and I'll put you in touch with my editor. She runs adspace for the mag. Below is a link to our first issue. Mind you, the website is still under construction and the zoom feature hasn't been properly dev'd yet but you can take a peep at the general layout. Enjoy!

http://edmmagazine.com/edm2009/May2009.html

I hope your articles have a bit more actual editorial meat to them then the articles I read in the issue you linked above.

Copies of this mag were handed out at a recent event in my area, and most of the articles were boring, and lacked anything beyond what seemed like scripted pre-paid promotion for certain artists/events. The music "reviews" weren't even really reviews at all, just a quick 100 word promo for a CD that the label probably paid the magazine to review. One of the event reviews reviewed a party in which the promoter, at the last minute before they opened doors, changed the age limit from all ages to 18+, and sent probably 2000 ticket buyers home without any refund or consolation, and yet your magazine completely skipped over this instead to talk about how the party was "amazing" and how a local DJ played "such anthems as 'Reward is Cheese'". They even had incorrect titles of certain tracks!

I don't mean this as anything towards you individually, more the fact that as a real EDM fan, I was sorely disappointed after reading the first issue, and I hope the writers will actually remember they have testicles when penning articles for the next issue.

My .02

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Congrats Damien.

summervest, why the unnecessary harshness? Also, how are you gonna bitch at him for something the magazine did in the past? Holy shit.

Damien, congrats dude, thats fuckin sick.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Guru

yea congrats man, definitely going to be checking it out now.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Guru

nice one bro! might have to hit you up about adspace in the mag soon

Quote Originally Posted by Lambox View Post
    summervest, why the unnecessary harshness
    Quote Originally Posted by summervest View Post
    I don't mean this as anything towards you individually
    Hope that clears it up.

Honestly, congrats to the OP on the gig, I didn't mean to rain on your individual parade, just giving my thoughts on the mag.

it's one gig more than some of us can say we have

but i have to add to what summer was saying, in that we should be more mindful of the quality of things we put our time and effort into. if what he's saying is true, this is kind of like winning PVD's "Who Wants To Be The Next Superstar DJ?" contest.

but if your heart is in it, and you agree with the material they push out, more power to you man, congrats.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

congratz bro! I look forwards to reading about our scene in a international mag :0

Quote Originally Posted by summervest View Post
    Hope that clears it up.
    Fair enough, my bad bro I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything. I'd just be pissed if I got a job somewhere doing something cool and somebody talked shit about it, which it seemed like you were trying to downplay the legitimacy of his job. It's all good tho. I'm dumb sometimes.

Anyway, is this magazine just a local thing or do they mail hard copies out across the country?
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast