Portable Recording Device
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Portable Recording Device

Often when Im walking around the city or anywhere I hear a nice sound I want to sample from street musicians or anything basically and I tend to use my iphone but im looking for a better device to record sounds with. Can anyone recommend me a good one?
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

How much do you want to spend?
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

This is what I use - fairly inexpensive (Mine was $200 but that was a few years ago so it's probably even cheaper now), perfectly compact, and does a fantastic job with minimal fuss.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Go sign up at www.taperssection.com & check out the yard sale. I've been a long time member & it's a great community & you can get nice deals on used gear.
    Last edited by teambama; 09-05-2012 at 09:12 PM.
    2x Technics SL-12000 mk2 / 2x Numark HDX
    Kontrol Z2 / Ecler Nuo 3 / Custom Vestax 07Pro 25th Anniversary, Blue Led's & integrated Audio 6 / Numark DXM06 w/innofader
    Novation Dicer / NI Maschine / Kontrol X1 / F1
    TSP2

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    How much do you want to spend?
    more or less around the $300 range

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    This is what I use - fairly inexpensive (Mine was $200 but that was a few years ago so it's probably even cheaper now), perfectly compact, and does a fantastic job with minimal fuss.
    I dont see any link or picture? deff wanna know what you use though

Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Go sign up at www.taperssection.com & check out the yard sale. I've been a long time member & it's a great community & you can get nice deals on used gear.
    thanks! Ill deff check it out now
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

I have a Tascam DR-40 and it is awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NACC6M/..._df_B005NACC6M

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

Check out the new Mikeys for iPhone 4/4S.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    I dont see any link or picture? deff wanna know what you use though
    Oh crap! Don't know what happened to the link, I probably forgot to paste lol... here it is http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1623 ... mine is the LS-10, but it looks like they made improvements and call it the LS-10S now, and I see MSRP is $199 so you can probably get it for $150. Apparently they have an LS-20 that does video too for 249 now. And an LS-7 for a more stripped down version at 159 MSRP. Even the LS-7 looks more capable than my older LS-10 (mine has only 2G internal memory, tho the SD slot makes that irrelevant). And if you want to go all out, their LS-100 looks great at 399 suggested; it gives you XLR inputs so you can use it for more than just field recordings. For your purpose tho I'd say stick to the LS-10 or -7.

--Actually on closer inspection I'd probably go for the LS-7 now. It looks more capable than the LS-10 (more internal memory and an extra microphone for lower frequencies) at a cheaper price. (Am I missing something?)
    Last edited by djproben; 09-06-2012 at 01:07 AM.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

you should def check out the zoom recorders, for example zoom h4n. used that device with great sucess.

I definitely recommend the Zoom H4N- many more features, for not that much of a price difference (compared to the DR 40). Also, for sample recording, the Zoom's sound quality is a little more full. If you want a comparison to the DR-40, here's a comparison video:
    Reason 5 - Traktor Pro 2.5 - HP G62 Dual Core 2.33 GHz, 2 GB RAM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast