Is EDM Killing Techno/House? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck3n3D View Post
    So I guess that means that those of us who are passionate about this music, have to step up to the plate and get things done ourselves.
    That's exactly it.

If you want to play out as a DJ, or have a great place to go. Make it yourself.

I put on a bash where I Dj'd in a small wine bar because I just wanted to play out, and it was awesome. At the time my Dj mate wanted to try and make it big time and therefore didn't want to start up something regular, which was a shame, but with passion you can definitely do it.

Find a small venue to start. I'm a bit past it now, but I assume people still give flyers out at the end of club nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck3n3D View Post
    I hear in London (Ontario) it's even worse with there being absolutely no underground scene, so that is why I've brought this up.
    Ugh, it's horrible. Every club here is just top40 over and over and over and over again, mixed with a little bit of electro house or maybe some prog.
    facebook | soundcloud
    hercules dj mk4 | traktor kontrol s2 | pioneer HDJ500s | traktor 2 pro | asus k53sv | 64bit win7 | no money

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by vecdir View Post
    Ugh, it's horrible. Every club here is just top40 over and over and over and over again, mixed with a little bit of electro house or maybe some prog.
    This is what I'm talking about, it seems that top40/electrouse/progressive has overshadowed Techno/House. You try bringing up Techno to these people and they think Deadmau5 is Techno... As well it seems that because "EDM" (for lack of a better umbrella term) blew up this past year, that the underground is getting less and less attention, unfortunately

Tech Guru

I think Techno and Deep/Tech House are going to make a bit of a come back in the next few years if my local scene is anything to go by. The scene in Australia is starting to get healthy with more and more big events showing up every year with good attendance by lots of young people.

To be honest when I first got into electronic music I was going to mainstream clubs for awhile with friends until we all found the real decent music and clubs in our own backyard. Peoples tastes change as they dig through a style of music especially if they are real music lovers. With all this interest in mainstream dance music I think there will be a wave of people crossing over to underground stuff and that scene will get a big boost because of it.

When I think about it the same thing happened when I was going through high school when I started listening to rock/metal bands like Blink and Korn and from that I got into better stuff like Tool and a tone of good local bands.

sebastiannz

Quote Originally Posted by backtothefront View Post
    I tend to agree with this. I don't there is such an issue in the UK in general.

My view is 'EDM' is mostly a recent (last couple of years) US phenomena; basically a shift away from the traditional staple diet of R&B, Rap, Rock and Country which generally dominates the US Top40. Now we have US R&B/Rap artists teaming up with dance music producers to knock out commercial, chart friendly pop electronic music or 'EDM' as it's known. UK/Europe went through something similar in terms of big, charting dance music in the 90's - this still happens to some extent but the underground dance music scene (of many different genres) is well established for 2 decades now.

Someone mentioned elitism further up the thread, I don't think this is the case, moreover a frustration that 'EDM' is dominating the attention of the wider listenership, particularly in the US who are just beginning to get in to 4/4 dance music albeit not a particularly good version of it and who don't know any better than Guetta. Don't get me wrong this is not a dig at the US, House Music originated from there but it was in the UK & Europe where it exploded in the early 90's. The US are just catching up to some extent.
    So glad I live in London when I heard underworld dark and long being played during the OLYMPIC OPENING CEREMONY , I was like yes, the uk is the king of dance music.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345