Is EDM Killing Techno/House?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Is EDM Killing Techno/House?

I've noticed in my own home town that the club scene has exploded with the EDM culture. Rare is it to find a club/venue that plays pure House and Techno.

We used to have a decent venue that hosted underground nights on a bi-weekly or at the very least, monthly basis. However, Tiesto happened to come along and destroy our sacred establishment. Tiesto demanded that the club be opened up (the club has an upstairs and downstairs) so as to accommodate a larger amount of people. The stage was moved to the 2nd floor balcony which over looked the main room, and the upstairs wall which separated the two rooms was removed so people could view Tiesto from directly across.

In the process of doing this, the club owners managed to ruin the sound system and acoustics of the secondary room. Any time there's an underground night, there's conflicting sound from the downstairs mainroom which plays pop/rap/EDM so it throws the dancers off and requires you to awkwardly beatmatch to dance.

They put up another wall since then but the sound has never recovered. The owners saw more money in the mainstream EDM movement and focused their resources towards the growth of that scene instead. So now we're left with a venue that has flat sound and poor service. It's obvious that the owners don't put their all into developing or promoting the second room of the club and it shows in the atmosphere. Now I've heard that they want to shut down the second room and revamp it, which I only hope can be for the better and not the worse. The second room has slowly started to loose money and it's customer basis, with fewer regulars showing up each event.

We've been trying to ferment an underground scene but it seems that some people are too occupied with their own business at the moment (we had one successful underground night at an undisclosed venue put on by ourselves with no outside promoter).

I really want to see the underground thrive but I'm not quite sure how to go about it, and I fear that Techno/Underground is fading away. Do people just not like Techno/House? I know there's a small group of dedicated fans here but no one to coalesce them.

How is the underground scene in your area, is it a loss cause trying to support Techno? Is the future EDM/Pop? What are your thoughts on this matter?

Tech Guru

EDM to me (electronic dance music) is and has always been the all encompassing term for all music created electronically...i.e. house (and all its sub genres), techno, drum & bass, electro...etc...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck3n3D View Post
    They put up another wall since then but the sound has never recovered. The owners saw more money in the mainstream EDM movement and focused their resources towards the growth of that scene instead.
    Sounds like a business man made a business decision. Nothing to get upset about, deal with it or move along...
    I hear an 8hz sinewave can make a whole room of dubstep producers simultaneously stroke their beards.

Even if they havnt got one.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rotebass View Post
    Sounds like a business man made a business decision. Nothing to get upset about, deal with it or move along...
    But in the meantime he completely destroyed our scene... Wouldn't you feel displaced after something like that?? He doesn't even pay DJs to spin and expects them to do all the promoting.
    Last edited by Bl4ck3n3D; 09-05-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    EDM to me (electronic dance music) is and has always been the all encompassing term for all music created electronically...i.e. house (and all its sub genres), techno, drum & bass, electro...etc...
    I am referring to the recent explosion of EDM in North America (the past 3 years). Before then it was more Techno and House, now it's EDM. I use EDM to refer to this brostep/dubstep/electro/progressive/brocore/house that has infused the scene. I don't like categorizing Techno and House under the same umbrella due to people misinterpreting House as Progressive electro/brostep. Get my drift?

Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ck3n3D View Post
    But in the meantime he completely destroyed our scene...
    He might have ruined that club as far as it putting on underground nights, but are you telling me there are no more in Detroit?
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

Next person to use the term "EDM" when having a conversation about music, will get a punch in the throat. Its a term that only the musically moronic use and has no place in a knowledgeable, informed discussion of electronic music, regardless of genre.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    Next person to use the term "EDM" when having a conversation about music, will get a punch in the throat. Its a term that only the musically moronic use and has no place in a knowledgeable, informed discussion of electronic music, regardless of genre.
    +1

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    He might have ruined that club as far as it putting on underground nights, but are you telling me there are no more in Detroit?
    By the way this isn't happening in Detroit, but across the river in Windsor, Canada. Detroit's scene is thriving, not like it was back in the hay day, but still alive and kicking.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by oliosky View Post
    That's actually the exact reason why I used the term "EDM", because it describes the distaste I have for this newly infused "EDM" genre that masquerades as Techno and House. Look past the terminology and reply to what I am speaking about. I use the term EDM to differentiate between classic electronic music and this new breed, feel me?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast