DJTT Tips/Advice - Wedding Music - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

When is this wedding? I have a playlist of about 40GB that I use at every wedding. I can give you an excel copy of the list, but it would take you forever to download all the music, and cost you a lot of money to purchase.

Tech Mentor

So wedding was a success. Since I was a groomsman I was able to mingle with people during dinner and what not. I let it slip that this was my first wedding and people were like during be nervous you'll do a great job. Throughout the wedding I had people coming up to me saying awesome job, great job keep it up, etc. Note this crowd was much much older so my dance floor would have periods where it was completely empty, then I'd drop a song and people would hop on. Since it was older folks they preferred to sit and chat, DO NOT get discouraged if this happens. They'd get up for one song and immediately sit down. People are still listening to the music you play even if they aren't dancing.

I also tried something I've never done before. I used Spotify along with my tracks (incoming wtf are you doing). It worked wonders, a lot of old people were requesting songs that I didn't happen to have but I was able to pull up ANYTHING.

I kept everything simple, I'd let songs fade out and go to the next one since I was hopping all over the play BPM wise, granted at the end of the night when all the old people left and there were a few younger people left I went into Top 40 mode and was blending.

I had a guy give me 20 bucks because I was able to play a slow song for him and his wife to dance too, (a lot of other couples danced along also which was cool). It was a Boys Like Girls Song ft Taylor Swift, good song for the collection. Thank you Spotify!

In the beginning I wanted children and parents to get up and have some fun so I played, I Gotta Feeling, Raise Your Glass, Aaron's Party, some T Swift, and Call Me Maybe, and so one and so on. The floor stayed packed and till I got a shit ton of "old people music request" and shifted over. Oh well.

The photographer was a friend of a friend and was like hey man do you have a business card, I do some weddings and some people need DJs. We exchanged cards. Networking!

Overall it was a great experience trying something out of norm, however, weddings really aren't my thing. I prefer club/bar djing and getting people crazy with house music. Granted I'm still pretty young, 22, but this may be something for when I'm older.

Awesome!!! Glad to hear it went well and it sounds like you could parlay it into more gigs with the photographer(if that's what you want). I figure, if you make enough money doing a wedding or 2 to pay for gear or software then everyting after that is gravy.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Annnnd I already have a teenage girl from the wedding friend me on Facebook wtf I didn't even talk to her lol

Check her ID first, my friend.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

My thing is that I'm horrible at MCing, I just don't have "that voice" and that kind of deters me. I spoke a little for the wedding tonight, but I didn't really enjoying doing it. I have a bit of a speech impediment where words tend to slur a bit so I had to talk really carefully which I'm not a fan of

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Check her ID first, my friend.
    Lol she's like 14 and has a Marilyn Manson cover page >_> He's still relevant? What.

Tech Guru

Nice work, buddy. No sweat, right?

Spotify is my crutch too. It's impossible to have everything people like, way to be resourceful.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    Nice work, buddy. No sweat, right?

Spotify is my crutch too. It's impossible to have everything people like, way to be resourceful.
    No sweat! Got a bit bored in the middle though with the old folks tunes

Please don't tell me the "old folks" tunes were 70's & 80's tunes.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456