What is wrong with this graphic EQ??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default What is wrong with this graphic EQ??

Hey guys,

Normally this stuff doesn't present a problem for me, but I've run into a situation that has me pulling my hair out looking for an answer. I am slowly building a home studio/production station, and wanted to add an old DBX 31-band graphic EQ in between my computer and my home stereo I'm using as a monitoring system right now. I have a 1/8in stereo cable going from the computer into the TRS input of the EQ with a 1/8in-1/4in headphone adapter jack on the end. It's the same situation with the output. I thought initially that maybe I had a bad cable or a bad adapter and swapped both of those out. No change. It outputs sound, but it is only outputting to the left speaker in a mono signal. Doing a stereo test confirmed that it is only recognizing one speaker. The EQ is a DBX 131 model. I'm confused as to why it's putting out a mono signal when it has TRS (stereo) inputs and outputs. What am I doing wrong? It does this on both the computer and a standard mp3 player. I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps one of the jacks on the EQ has a channel busted.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

It's outputting a mono signal because it's a mono EQ. A 1/4" jack does not always equal stereo. Also that cable setup is going to give you trouble in the future, I'd suggest expanding your sound engineering knowledge a bit before investing in equipment.

Model 131 description copied from the dbx website, http://www.dbxpro.com/131/ "Single Channel 31-Band Graphic Equalizer"
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

The first step of building anything is knowing what you bought to start with.

One trip in the Google magical search engine ride would've earned you +10 internets. Now you lose 50 internets due to not googling before asking.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    It's outputting a mono signal because it's a mono EQ. A 1/4" jack does not always equal stereo. Also that cable setup is going to give you trouble in the future, I'd suggest expanding your sound engineering knowledge a bit before investing in equipment.
    I understand it's a mono signal, but I don't understand why it's still only outputting to the left. If it was a mono signal, wouldn't it just be putting out the same output to each speaker? This is what confuses me the most, because when it was originally setup in my mobile rig, it was sending a mono signal to each speaker (it was a stereo power amp too). Also, why would you include TRS inputs if it was outputting a mono signal? I know this isn't an ideal setup, I'm using this to hold me over until i'm no longer so strapped for cash; a "leftover gear" sandwich if you will
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Professional gear uses balanced connections, ie, tip, ring sleeve or XLR. You may want to do as Shishdisma says and research audio because from the sound of some of your statements you might just blow something up or shock yourself. There's some great books out there about audio reinforcement, cabling and such or just use the internets.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Notice the difference between the grey and red headed cabels here (two mono inputs) and the black with the extra ring it (stereo). If you want the former you will need one of these

3683_small.jpg

@ Nicky, it's still not going to matter because the eq he has is a mono eq, for one channel only.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    @ Nicky, it's still not going to matter because the eq he has is a mono eq, for one channel only.
    Tha's why I'm saying homie needs a splitter if he wants mono 1/4" to stereo
    The whole thing is probably a bad idea if we're talking production but thats just IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
    Tha's why I'm saying homie needs a splitter if he wants mono 1/4" to stereo
    The whole thing is probably a bad idea if we're talking production but thats just IMO
    The generally accepted term (in my experience) is a Y cable. Going back with a practical example of what I said earlier about learning: any kind of setup involving a stereo-mono-split mono setup typically requires summing. Under no circumstances should you ever sum with a Y cable. Use a summing/DI box/mixer, or mono the sound output in software. You WILL fry your shit if you use a TS Y cable backwards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast