How much longer will timecode vinyl be around? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

My bet's on Vestax. =s

ask A-Trak

Tech Guru

I wonder why no one has come out with an HID USB turntable. I'd pick one up in a second, no needles, no serato/traktor box.

When a controller maker is not a afraid to make a hardware based solution that works better and is cheaper than a real turntable.

NI could make a controller with a built in sensor that works just like DVS that only costs $200 or so. But it will ruin their reputation with current DJs.

Seriously, as someone new to DJ equipment, the whole concept of DVS is pretty stupid. It's like making a smart phone that looks like an old style telephone with a rotary dial because that's what people think a "real phone" looks like. Granted, I admit I want to get a DVS setup but when you think about it, it's pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    I wonder why no one has come out with an HID USB turntable. I'd pick one up in a second, no needles, no serato/traktor box.
    Does the new Denon 3900 qualify?
    Used Record Shopper

Quote Originally Posted by crakbot View Post
    Seriously, as someone new to DJ equipment, the whole concept of DVS is pretty stupid. It's like making a smart phone that looks like an old style telephone with a rotary dial because that's what people think a "real phone" looks like. Granted, I admit I want to get a DVS setup but when you think about it, it's pretty stupid.
    Well it' maybe because you aren't seeing the value of the dvs (and i mean digital VINYL solution) due to not knowing yet (i'm guessing from your post but maybe i'm wrong) what it's like to dj with vinyls.

The feeling is more organic, and at least to me more pleasurable. But the true value of dvs lies in the fact that you can switch from vinyl to the dvs at the flick of a switch, and thus you can mix your regular vinyl collection alongside your digital library AND keep the feeling of using vinyl. And more importantly, you can do all that while still keeping everything that the digital side gives you : loops, cues, cue jumps, effects, remix decks, etc...

I will admit tho that unless you are doing scratching, or have prepared something special, vinyl in club usage is really down, because only a few types of djs still bother with vinyl (D&B, dubstep, some house and deep house, and scratch/turntablists). When 15/10 years ago, you would find everything in vinyl ( like top 40s type of stuff ), but today the top charts aren't available on vinyl anymore ( not that it's a big loss ).

The tldr : the feeling, the feeEeeling maaan !
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Tech Guru

The feel of vinyl is unprecedented. Perfectly slip cueing a "1" is a feeling unlike any other. You can't get this with any controller right now, and probably won't for a long time. The Numark CDX had a great feel, but nowhere close to a Technics turntable.

If a controller came out like the EKS Otus with a HID motorized slip vinyl I'd probably be all over it. The question is--how far away are we from something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by oneapemob View Post
    Well it' maybe because you aren't seeing the value of the dvs (and i mean digital VINYL solution) due to not knowing yet (i'm guessing from your post but maybe i'm wrong) what it's like to dj with vinyls.

The feeling is more organic, and at least to me more pleasurable. But the true value of dvs lies in the fact that you can switch from vinyl to the dvs at the flick of a switch, and thus you can mix your regular vinyl collection alongside your digital library AND keep the feeling of using vinyl. And more importantly, you can do all that while still keeping everything that the digital side gives you : loops, cues, cue jumps, effects, remix decks, etc...

I will admit tho that unless you are doing scratching, or have prepared something special, vinyl in club usage is really down, because only a few types of djs still bother with vinyl (D&B, dubstep, some house and deep house, and scratch/turntablists). When 15/10 years ago, you would find everything in vinyl ( like top 40s type of stuff ), but today the top charts aren't available on vinyl anymore ( not that it's a big loss ).

The tldr : the feeling, the feeEeeling maaan !
    I agree with everything you are saying. My post probably came out wrong. I wasn't really saying vinyl was stupid, I was saying that when looking at it from a certain perspective, it seems pretty silly. For example, most people who see someone using DVS probably assumes the DJ is actually spinning real vinyl. If you told them the records are "fake" and just control a song in the computer, they would be like WTF, why even bother with the turntable then? I understand there are situations where it makes sense, but for many others it seems really silly and overly complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by crakbot View Post
    I agree with everything you are saying. My post probably came out wrong. I wasn't really saying vinyl was stupid, I was saying that when looking at it from a certain perspective, it seems pretty silly. For example, most people who see someone using DVS probably assumes the DJ is actually spinning real vinyl. If you told them the records are "fake" and just control a song in the computer, they would be like WTF, why even bother with the turntable then? I understand there are situations where it makes sense, but for many others it seems really silly and overly complicated.
    I actually disagree with that. A lot of people understand that a DJ, when they have their computer up, is using the computer.

But it's the feel man. Nothing is the same as a spinning platter on the 1200's. It took me a long time to decide which route I wanted to go when I finally bought my setup. And honestly? I love having the turntables. I've lugged them to gigs, house parties, friends houses to jam, everywhere. And it's still worth the effort. (And I do have to state: individual cases are a lifesaver if you don't drive a beast of a car, or are the hulk!)

The thing about it as well... is people WANT to see a DJ using turntables. That's what they picture when they THINK of a DJ. Not someone using a controller, or even a CDJ. It may not be fancy scratching, but seeing them do the little things... it does make a difference from that vanity perspective. If you are talking to someone, and they ask you what you use, saying that you use 1200's w/ Serato or Traktor has a lot more respect behind it than saying you use XYZ controller with XYZ software. It's just how it is.

I'm probably going to make the switch to CDJ's in the future, when I can afford them. (For removing my computer from my setup mostly, nothing else). But I don't think I'll ever sell my TT's. Because as others have said, being able to just pull out your old records and throw those on, have some fun with it? It's a priceless feeling.

I wish I could afford to spin on purely vinyl. But it's not in my price range, and not many people can keep up with that.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

The Stanton SCS1D is the closest IMO, It's got the motor from the ST-150, effects controls, midi lcd screens for incredible feedback, dual layer for controlling 2 decks with 1 unit, motorised pitch fader for seamless deck switching, and a 10 inch platter.

The reason it never sold well or got recognition is the middleware software "DaRouter" and it's use it traktor was apparently terrible... It's getting re-released with VDJ soon and will be native HID, but the guys who are using the unit in VDJ Pro say it's amazing. The only negative IMO is the two tone colour but that could easily be fixed with an overlay or a bit of paint.

That said I use DVS It's not going anywhere until someone comes out with a 12 inch platter, although I kind of like placing the needle on the record and like the limitation of it jumping if I get too rough... M447's last about a year before needing replacement and timecode vinyl lasts about the same. Replacement costs are paid gladly.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast