How long do you think this EDM surge will last? And why?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default How long do you think this EDM surge will last? And why?

Title says it all really. We've seen EDM become super popular lately. How much longer do you think it'll keep that way? 5 years? 10 years? Why?

Who knows, I'm just glad that it's here.

every 20 years some new genre takes over, tweens make it popular. and all of the worst musicians move onto that bandwagon...It's both a good thing and a bad thing that EDM is "kewl and poplar"

i would give it another 3 to5 years

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by calgarc View Post
    every 20 years some new genre takes over, tweens make it popular. and all of the worst musicians move onto that bandwagon...It's both a good thing and a bad thing that EDM is "kewl and poplar"

i would give it another 3 to5 years
    Till the money dries up. At least for the current hot genre: Brostep, Top 40 Progressive House. It's really simple it's the diffusion of innovation: http://www.fidis.net/typo3temp/tx_rl...ddb3955473.jpg, right now EDM is in the middle.

If you wanna be ahead of the curve go to the underground and then wait 5 years for someone to exploit that, then go back again. This curve really applies to anything, is Facebook as cool now that your grandma (laggard) has an account? Not really.

i'm going to say about another 3 or 4. I remember end of the 90's going into 00's that house/trance was big on the radio, just after the 'big beat' phenomenon, then the guitars started to take over, which seem to stick around longer than the electronic stuff.

Another pattern is the how electronic music sounds a popularity heights... I swear it gets worse eveytime...

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

I think this will last for a long time as the younger generations have given up or never connected with guitar-centric music.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Wizard

If it means no more 'boy bands', than I nope forever.

Quote Originally Posted by sdrthedj View Post
    If it means no more 'boy bands', than I nope forever.
    Sorry, boy bands have been around since the forties and will stay around until this civilization is terminated.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

It last 10 or so years, then the true school hip hop will rise again.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Guru

'EDM' as a genre will eventually reduce in popularity as another underground genre of music bubbles up and the mainstream/top40 artists take this 'new sound' and it therefore becomes today's pop music, much like the current 'EDM' Guetta/SHM/Skrillex et al, etc etc. It's always been the case with pop music, just this time it's a form of dance music surging in the US market.

Meanwhile Dance Music will continue bubbling in the underground, much like it has for the last couple of decades, with new niche genres popping up along the way.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast