The best of both worlds... Controller with stand alone mixer + turntables?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default The best of both worlds... Controller with stand alone mixer + turntables?

First of all, I'm new to this forum, so hi everybody.

I used to DJ on turntables until I moved abroad. Since I didn't want to lug my turntables overseas, I ended up getting an entry-level console (Hercules RMX) which served me well for that time.

Now, I have the opportunity to send my turntables to my present location. Of course I still want to be able to mix digitally (i.e. for when I play out or for tracks that I don't have on vinyl). But since old habits die hard I still want to be able to mix with vinyl sometimes.

So basically in the interest of saving precious space I want to get a controller that doubles as a stand-alone mixer. It would be great if the controller also had a soundcard built in.

I'm not too picky about software but I think I'd prefer Traktor or Serato, just because those are the ones I have experience with.

And finally I'm looking for something under US $800 if possible.

The controllers I've found that fit these criteria are:

Numark N4
    Denon DNMC 6000 (I know, it comes with VDJ, but like I said, I'm flexible)
    Reloop Digital Jockey 2 ME
    Vestax VCI-400 (well, the price depends on where you get it...)

Am I missing any? Do any of you have experiences with these devices (or others with stand alone mixers) to share?

Also, I looked around for threads on this topic but didn't find any. If there was a prior thread on this topic please let me know.

With the Traktor S4 you can hook up turntables, and with the scratch upgrade you can use control vinyl.

Pioneer DJM-T1 could be good for you, It has heaps of buttons and knobs for the effects section. And comes with it's own version of "traktor scratch pro"

Also if you have a RMX serial number you can upgrade to VDJ Pro for $150, then you could get a Stanton DJC.4 for $350 and run timecodes with that.. Note that you can run the analogue sound through the software and use the internal eq "which should be getting a hell of a lot better very soon" and effects as you normally would with a digital sound source. It's not an analogue mixer but will work the same as long as you run the software.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/1685...ton_DJC_4.html

Coincidentally I put together a list of all the controllers you could use timecode with in VDJ a couple of days ago
    http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/1683...des______.html
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

VCI-400 would be my choice.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

The pioneer djx aero?

Vci400
    S4
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Keep in mind that unless you buy a "traktor certified" mixer, or an s4, you will also have to buy a traktor audio 4/6/8/10 interface to use control vinyls. If you plan on going the serato route, well either a rane mixer for serato, or a rane sl1/2/3/4.

Only if you use other softwares than traktor and serato can you use the controller soundcard with timecode vinyls.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    VCI-400 would be my choice.
    More love to the 400!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneapemob View Post
    Keep in mind that unless you buy a "traktor certified" mixer, or an s4, you will also have to buy a traktor audio 4/6/8/10 interface to use control vinyls.
    True, you do need to factor that into your cost. If you just want two TT's the an Audio 4 is all you need. Used they go for around $150 usually I think. With that you can then get Traktor Scratch Pro and timecode for $119.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Just get a mixer of your choice and a Kontrol X1....
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Mixer of choice + x1 + traktor scratch with Audio 6 = win
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast