4 channel vs 2 channel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 4 channel vs 2 channel?

I have a questin to you guys out there when it comes to mixing....

1 - How do you use a four channel setup?...Do you use 2 decks+sample/remix decks?....in what fashion?
    2 - When i see the S2 and the S4, the only diffrence is basecly 2 vs 4 channel, should i go for the S4?
    3 - I know it basecly comes down to preffrence here, but i want your guys opinions, and how you use the 4 decks?...

TBH, for up tempo mixing I use 2, maybe 3 channels. The only time I really use all four decks is when I play downtempo. I use 2 decks for mixing tracks, the third for vocal samples and one offs and the forth for ambiances, like ocean, forest & jungle sounds. I don't have the latest version of Traktor but I could see using a sample deck for making my own ambiance,an "other world" type thing.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

* I rarely use 4 decks, most of the time 3 on the other hand. Usually my set up is three track decks, and a sample/remix deck (I do use quite a lot the loop recorder in addition).
    My 3rd deck is used for acapellas, and the 4th deck (sample deck) for..samples/fx sounds/loops. The 4th deck is more a fx machine than an 'abletonesque' approach.

* There are much more differences than that. For example, not having dedicated filters is a big minus in my eyes on the s2. The led feedback on the s4 is also a strong advantage, like the potential customization of the sample play buttons.

* If I use 4 decks, it's usually because I pick the main part of a track, add the kick/bass from another one, tops/snares/hi hats from a 3rd and use the 4th for the next track. I also use on a regular basis duplicates of a track either for cross fader or fx tricks.

One of the few who uses 4 decks most of the time and doesn't sound like an idiot.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/08/0...deo-interview/
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I use two track decks and two sample decks. Each sample deck is used to pull samples from the deck above. Now that the remix decks are out though I've started playing some with a three track deck + one remix deck. Sometimes that third deck is live input from the iPad.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

4 decks = for crazy mindblowing controllerism routines, if you wanna be a digital DMC champ, push boundaries every time you DJ, if you are super creative and actually want to create something that can be considered new,...

2 decks = passion for the music, not the DJing, you want to take your listeners on a musical journey, stimulate their mind with the music that you love so much, while in the process leave the music virtually untouched, it is already near perfect and you wish to leave it pristine, you, the DJ, are just there to create seamless transitions, make the listeners think they 're listening to the same song for a long time, while actually they 're not and keep it interesting the whole time. You don't want to melt faces off, you just want it to be about the music.

Just my take on this
    in case you 're wondering, I only use 2 decks, but I love it

Oh yea and f*ck periods and starting new sentences

So yea, if you are in category no 2 an S2 will be fine.
    I have a 4 channel mixer at the moment and have an S4 (don't use it anymore) but I never use my gear 's full potential, I just prefer mixing 2 tracks, but do it as perfect as possible.
    Last edited by MyUsername; 09-19-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Banned

I use four track decks. Generally speaking, the third deck is to transition out of double drops, and the fourth deck is to transition out of triple drops.

Don't buy an S2 or S4. Buy another four channel controller and install it's factory traktor mapping.... Get something cheaper and higher quality, and not limited with mapping because of NI's bad marketing plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    2 decks = passion for the music, not the DJing, you want to take your listeners on a musical journey, stimulate their mind with the music that you love so much, while in the process leave the music virtually untouched, it is already near perfect and you wish to leave it pristine, you, the DJ, are just there to create seamless transitions, make the listeners think they 're listening to the same song for a long time, while actually they 're not and keep it interesting the whole time. You don't want to melt faces off, you just want it to be about the music.

TL;DR: wedding DJing.

<3
    lol :-p

I use an S4 and I use 2 decks, deck C for samples, and deck D for live input from my 1210 and some scratch records. But im working on building a 2 channel cdj setup just because it feels more "hands on"
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

Quote Originally Posted by MyUsername View Post
    4 decks = for crazy mindblowing controllerism routines, if you wanna be a digital DMC champ, push boundaries every time you DJ, if you are super creative and actually want to create something that can be considered new,...

I agree with this totally, I have played both ways and it is equally fun with different rewards

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by NicoTheUnique View Post
    2 - When i see the S2 and the S4, the only diffrence is basecly 2 vs 4 channel, should i go for the S4?
    I use the S2. It replaced a VCI-100 Arcade. Slightly larger form factor...better intergration...and I have grown to really like the built in sound card.

There are more differences than just the 4 channels, the S4 has dedicated access to the loop recorder, filter, and more. Those may or may not make a difference to you.

The S2 is MUCH more portable than the S4. There are (relatively) dozens of bags that will hold an S2 (you might already have one). There are a handful of choices for the S4.

Assuming that I could commit to lugging the S4 around, I would pickup the VCI-400 EGE in a heartbeat over the S4. Same rough price point, but the VCI-400 EGE has a TON more functionality built in.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    * The 4th deck is more a fx machine than an 'abletonesque' approach.
    [/URL]
    only one dude mentioned this. This is the reason my next controller will be 4 decks. You can take the song playing on deck 1 and duplicate it onto deck 2. Then cue the headphones and start playing with vocal and or beat loops. Adding beatslicer, Reverb, delay etc. (an FX deck) Then bring in Deck 2 and add some cool live FX over the original track. As your playing with this you need to mix in the next track on deck 3. Sometimes the FX loops on deck 2 will match the incoming track so well, that you just let them roll together for the lot.

>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast