Using Midi Fighter 3D as Nudge / Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using Midi Fighter 3D as Nudge / Advice

I did a quick search through the forum, but couldn't find anything on it.

Has anybody ever tried mapping the gyroscopic functions of the 3D to Deck Nudge or Tempo? I'm guessing with a shift key.

At the moment I'm running with two X1's with my DB2, which is fantastic for when I'm mixing my standard house tracks, but I definitely miss being able to re-align tracks with swinging tempos without Jogwheels. Nudging feels a touch slow with buttons.

I'm contemplating reselling the X1's on ebay (Which i'd probably be able to sell for more than I bought them anyway. They go for 280 on Ebay in Australia, when you can get them for 220 straight from NI), and buying 3D's instead. I don't really use the internal effects in traktor outside Transpose/Beatmasher as the DB2 effects are so bloody good, so I won't miss the knobs.

Anybody here have any experience with Gyro-nudging?

If not, I suppose I'll have a think whether the trade is worth it, and if so, have an attempt at mapping it myself

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

It should be same settings as mapping it to the button just assign it with tilt.

Yeah, The mapping bit was the easy bit. It was more a question of whether you can accurately do it, or whether there would be too much drift. Would have to play with the sensitivity. I might see if I can borrow one somewhere to give it a go

When mapping it to button you can't set sensitivity same as when dealing with jog encoders. Instead, you can set different resolutions - min, fine, default...

Also you might need to use two CC's for this.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

This sounds like a cool idea. Are thinking of doing this while holding the MF or just tilting it as it sits on the table? I can see how tilting might emulate beat matching to a point.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    This sounds like a cool idea. Are thinking of doing this while holding the MF or just tilting it as it sits on the table? I can see how tilting might emulate beat matching to a point.
    Right from table indeed. There is one thing, I never mess with 3D but if it sends standard CC as other controllers there can be one problem there. I mean, when "jog turn" button type command is mapped to fader/knob it will act as long as knob is in move or tilting with 3D. Point is, traktror will pitchband while you lift MF and while you returning it back on table and that isn't how it suppose to happen.

I managed to set one modifier to toggle for solution. Tilt to nudge set M1=7 directly and more you lift it will continuously pitch the track. At the moment you start to bring it back modifier goes to 0 and tells pitchband to take a break while you lift it again.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    From the table yeah, essentially I'd imagine a situation where, as you tilt the 3D, the track begins nudging. The higher you tilt (Or higher the midi velocity number coming from that CC), the faster it moves the track in/out of phase.

I can see where there would be a problem, and really appreciate you for trying Stewe

As a work-around, I wonder if it would be possible by mapping the Tilt to act as Pitch Fader. Where when Flat, the tempo sits at where-ever it is initially set and tilting to temporarily increase/decrease speed.

I'd assume you would have to map the controller to a modifier, so that when any tilts are made, the track returns to the BPM that was initially set, rather than 0%.

Sorry if that doesn't make alot of sense, I'm still a bit of a rookie when it comes to mapping. It might not even be practical, could end up being too inaccurate for it to be of any use. For me personally, I'm trying to find an easier way of beatmatching tracks that are impossible to beat grid (EG, Starts in 128, finishes 110). In my current situation, I have a knob on my mixer designated to the pitch fader on my focus/master deck, but using buttons to nudge the track into place feels clunky.
    Last edited by rjc; 09-19-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Misstype

We can't map encoder rotary sensitivity or acceleration for such that. It would bi nice feature tho.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Hey guys - I played around with this for a bit, as someone mentions above because Traktor doesn't have sensitivity settings for direct bend control it doesn't work all that well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast