Speakers for a gig outside??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    45

    Default Speakers for a gig outside??

    Hi! I have a gig coming up (about 50-75 people)... It's at someones house in their backyard and it's quite big. My small M-Audio AV40's aren't going to do the trick although I may bring 1 as a booth speaker... What I need to know is what speakers I need to buy for the gig. I would like to keep the quality of the speaker decent and loud without spending a ton of money. It would be great if anyone could recommend a brand and model of speakers/sub(is a subwoofer necessary?) Thanks for the help!

    ~MIDI Powers

  2. #2
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, USA
    Posts
    782

    Default

    You should invest in some good active speakers.

    If you get 2 15" Mackie Thumps ($300 each) you'll be in good shape for any gig up to 200 ppl.

    Don't worry about a sub until you play bigger.

  3. #3
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,019

    Default

    Thumps are probably the best cheap option you can find. I think Mackie has a 50.00 off right now. What are you looking to spend.

    I had a pair of Thumps for a while. For a casual gig with not lots of people they are fine. They do limit pretty quick and are not the loudest speakers for their size. I found that after running them for 4 hours or so they don't push as hard. Again for the price it is what it is and pretty good for casual backyard, BBQ, pool party enviroment.

    If you wanted to spend a little more there are some better options. If you have the money I'd say spend a little more ---- you'll enjoy better speakers and not have to upgrade anytime soon.

    What's your budget?
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

  4. #4
    Tech Guru Eliot Han's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    819

    Default

    If it's out of your budget to afford larger speakers, check craigslist or other local sites to look for audio equipment rentals ... you can rent 2 mackie thumps a mixer board and mics for under $150 for a 24 hour period.

    ↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

  5. #5
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    45

    Default

    passive or active? Which is the better way to go?
    Last edited by Pow3rs; 09-20-2012 at 11:56 AM.

  6. #6
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eliot Han View Post
    If it's out of your budget to afford larger speakers, check craigslist or other local sites to look for audio equipment rentals ... you can rent 2 mackie thumps a mixer board and mics for under $150 for a 24 hour period.
    I considered renting but in the long haul if I rent for the gig I have this coming weekend then again in 2weeks I think it would just be a waste of money when I could already have bought speakers.

  7. #7
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Thumps are probably the best cheap option you can find. I think Mackie has a 50.00 off right now. What are you looking to spend.

    I had a pair of Thumps for a while. For a casual gig with not lots of people they are fine. They do limit pretty quick and are not the loudest speakers for their size. I found that after running them for 4 hours or so they don't push as hard. Again for the price it is what it is and pretty good for casual backyard, BBQ, pool party enviroment.

    If you wanted to spend a little more there are some better options. If you have the money I'd say spend a little more ---- you'll enjoy better speakers and not have to upgrade anytime soon.

    What's your budget?
    Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    You should invest in some good active speakers.

    If you get 2 15" Mackie Thumps ($300 each) you'll be in good shape for any gig up to 200 ppl.

    Don't worry about a sub until you play bigger.


    Hi My budget is 600-1200$ USD and the gig is 4-5 hours long. (kinda nervous since it's my first 1) I'd like to spend closer to 600 but then again I wouldn't want to have to upgrade again... What about JBL Eon's? I don't know which model would be good or if they are any good. How do they compare to Mackie's?

  8. #8
    Tech Guru Eliot Han's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    819

    Default

    For dance music i would go with the mackies over the eons ... when i played out on eons i needed a bass bin but with the mackies, it seemed that they were sufficient without a bass bin ( although it would have sounded tits if i had both )

    ↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

  9. #9
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pow3rs View Post
    Hi My budget is 600-1200$ USD and the gig is 4-5 hours long. (kinda nervous since it's my first 1) I'd like to spend closer to 600 but then again I wouldn't want to have to upgrade again... What about JBL Eon's? I don't know which model would be good or if they are any good. How do they compare to Mackie's?
    What kind of vehicle do you have to haul PA equipment?

    If you can fit it in, the B52 Matrix 1000v2 system is good value for $$$ with a sub. It's not easy to expand, but makes a good stater system and backup system. This system will be more that enough for several years of gigs as you are starting out. This can be had for $1000 out the door or delivered. That's with stands, and all required cables.

    If you don't have that much pack space, the RCF 312A's are reasonable for "full range" sound. When you need more sound, you can buy more of these tops and add subs. Because it can be expanded, these will be the foundation of a system that will last for a very long time. I prefer these to the Mackie & JBL offerings that have been mentioned. Again, you are looking at about $1000 out the door or delivered with stands & cables.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

  10. #10
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    What kind of vehicle do you have to haul PA equipment?

    If you can fit it in, the B52 Matrix 1000v2 system is good value for $$$ with a sub. It's not easy to expand, but makes a good stater system and backup system. This system will be more that enough for several years of gigs as you are starting out. This can be had for $1000 out the door or delivered. That's with stands, and all required cables.

    If you don't have that much pack space, the RCF 312A's are reasonable for "full range" sound. When you need more sound, you can buy more of these tops and add subs. Because it can be expanded, these will be the foundation of a system that will last for a very long time. I prefer these to the Mackie & JBL offerings that have been mentioned. Again, you are looking at about $1000 out the door or delivered with stands & cables.

    Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a store that carries them where I live in Asia :/ and Shipping would cost too much and I don't have much time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •