How do you Layer your bass drum track?
    Tech Mentor

Default How do you Layer your bass drum track?

Do you run 2 different channels and adjust one to produce more subbass? Or Do you run 2 Bass hits on the same channel and adjust the compression? I would like to stick to one method. Which would people recommened here?

Channels are cheap, use two, that way you could have different compression, different EQ, different levels, different AUX settings, different automation.....
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Mentor

I usually (keep in mind I produce progressive and electro) take one kick sample with some solid low end thump and a little bit of high end sparkle, layer it with an 808 kick. Low cut the 808 at about 80hz, hi-cut the 808 at about 120hz. Send them both to a bus compressor with about -2.5db gain reduction and, low ratio, and low knee. Group the tracks and give a very small EQ boost somewhere between 55hz and 110hz depending on what you are looking for. If you want more high end you can layer a really snappy snare on top of both of these and send it to the same bus, hi-cut it and low-cut it until it is essentially a click.