What one DJ/Musician/Group been most influential for you as a DJ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Donald Glaude. Such a performer!
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

went to a party about 12 years ago and saw DJ Dara play some DnB, i
    was hooked on DJing and EDM ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by n2hf1st View Post
    Armin van Buuren - the way he connects with his audience is just amazing. Pointing out people in the crowd, making a heart sign with his hands, and the sheer energy he has behind the decks. I mean seriously, if he pointed at you during his set and made a heart, wouldn't you go nuts?
    Probably I might feel a little bit odd and awkward if a performer, albeit someone I'm a fan of, pointed at me and made a heart.

Also, I think just a lot of local DJs inspired me. From my experience at clubs and seeing how the crowds react to music, it's really cool.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

my inspiration would have to be Sasha. When his album Airdrawn Dagger came out some years ago, i couldn't believe my ears! plus i was probably on mushrooms
    i love the energy of dance music and way dj's can use it to stir emotions and move entire crowds of people. but when I listen to Sasha's mixes its more like a personal adventure through the soundscapes he fabricates.

+1 Sasha/JD are right up there in my book.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

The Upbeats
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

This question is so easy to answer for me. It may sound kind of extreme but after listening Ricardo Villalobos I realized that djing was what I wanted to do for a long time. I alreday knew the basics but he impacted very deep in my mind... it changed my view and approach to djing.
    If you have not had the chance to listen to him, please take some time one day to do it, he is one of a kind dj.

This is an old example, but one I like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-En1WjGhT_o
    Last edited by alien2k; 06-24-2009 at 12:13 AM.

Sasha, without a shadow of a doubt.

I had got all the Northern Exposure and Renaissance mixes, and they were good but I was certain his reputation was hype. So I went to see him live at Bedrock in London. The place was rammed, the vibe was electric and he played music like I have never heard in my life before - angelic, textural, muscular _tunes_. I was straight the whole evening and it was still a life changing experience.

Later, I discovered that he had been playing at most of the musical events that shaped me, like the early Universe raves and dance clubs in Torquay and Exmouth. Sasha was even a regular at my local record shop, Mighty Force Records. Not such a fan of his recent works compared to when he was remixing D:Ream and M-People and working with BT's lush piano pieces, but he's never boring. the fact that he's a digital DJ is a bonus.

Him and Pete Tong. Listening to the Essential Selection while travelling down south past Stonehenge, listening to him break the big tunes of the 90's was another defining moment. His mixes always start off with the pop tunes the kids want to hear, then he takes you on a journey that ends up in some seriously twisted techno places. I think people underestimate his skills. He's dropped tracks I would never touch and he pulls it off (e.g. Paolo Mojo "Sirena" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a67HwrJK5kw). I have a lot of respect for Tongy.

+1 for local dj's. Cincinnati doesn't have much of a scene for electronic music, but we have some really talented dj's. Can't forget Mr. Dibbs, and Animal Crackers.
    One of the biggest things i left out was, SCRIBBLEJAM!!!!!!! (R.I.P)
    Been going there every year since '98, and seeing the dj competitions was probably the reason i got behind the decks in the first place.
    Things like this helped it along...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw0v6kkasMk
    I was right in front of the stage for this.

Jack Bastard

Derrick Carter, no question. I'd been mucking around with dance music for about 4-5 years and played just about every type of dance music before I properly sat down and listened to his stuff (about 1998). Up until then I'd played everything from goa trance to coffee table deep house. It was after this epiphany that I really discovered the sound that I still play.

The records he chooses to play really chimed with all the bits I loved about house music and he made me realise it's perfectly ok to mix sweet melodic tunes with techy repetitive tracks and that there's nothing wrong with accessable, non-pretentious tunes aimed squarely at the dancefloor.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast