What one DJ/Musician/Group been most influential for you as a DJ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by greatmesk View Post
    if it comes to creative use of technology i think of Coldcut for video-djíng
    OMG, Coldcut! Their Journeys by DJ mix is the very definition of a journey, and their Revolution mix proves that the journey can tell a story, be political and hold a message running through it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1LVT76Z2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/essentia...shtml?20060129

exactly. the same goes for the lessons by double dee and steinski. or bbc entertainment, or jive bunny.... oh man, theres to many influences i´m afraid

Moldover, Ean Golden and Tim Exile - they are the 3 people i have the most respect for.

DJ's/Producers:

Laurent Garnier, Dave Clarke, Boys Noize, Miss Djax, Acid Junkies, Thomas Schumacher, Mijk van Dijk.

Club:

Tresor, Berlin (talk about inspiration)

Label:

Superstition (why the hell did they stop?)

Hmmm,

DJ's/Producers

In terms of 'having similar tastes to' - The Nextmen, I love the way they switch from Funk to Soul to Ragga to Hip-hop to ...

In terms of 'always playing a belter' - Greg Wilson

In terms of technical skills/selection - DJ Format / DJ Yoda / Coldcut / DJ Cheeba / Moneyshot

Club

Hmmm, probably wither Basement 45 in Bristol or the Thekla (Coldcut doing Journeys by VJ there last year was amazing)

Label

At the moment Goodgroove, Funk Weapons, Freestyle, Stones Throw
    In the past Grand Central (RIP),

I feel like I'm coming at this from a very different place to most people on here...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by Teiresias View Post
    Hmmm,

DJ's/Producers

In terms of 'having similar tastes to' - The Nextmen, I love the way they switch from Funk to Soul to Ragga to Hip-hop to ...

In terms of 'always playing a belter' - Greg Wilson

In terms of technical skills/selection - DJ Format / DJ Yoda / Coldcut / DJ Cheeba / Moneyshot

Club

Hmmm, probably wither Basement 45 in Bristol or the Thekla (Coldcut doing Journeys by VJ there last year was amazing)

Label

At the moment Goodgroove, Funk Weapons, Freestyle, Stones Throw
    In the past Grand Central (RIP),

I feel like I'm coming at this from a very different place to most people on here...
    Nah mate, I may be pure house but I get you.

Greg Wilson is a legend, Funk Weapons is an awesome label (check out some stuff by B Team on house label Odds & Ends if you like that, they are All Good Funk Alliance under another name).

<namedrop>Oh, yeah, and Roy Moneyshot started learning to scratch in my kitchen</namedrop>

You living in Bristol mate?

Tech Convert

Trentemoller, Ricardo Villalobos, Gui Boratto.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    Nah mate, I may be pure house but I get you.

Greg Wilson is a legend, Funk Weapons is an awesome label (check out some stuff by B Team on house label Odds & Ends if you like that, they are All Good Funk Alliance under another name).

<namedrop>Oh, yeah, and Roy Moneyshot started learning to scratch in my kitchen</namedrop>

You living in Bristol mate?
    Is it that obvious .... ?

e2a: Just realised I missed Tru-thoughts off that list of labels - doh!

I'll check that label out as well, ta
    Last edited by Sherlock Ohms; 06-25-2009 at 10:04 AM.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    I was straight the whole evening and it was still a life changing experience.

I can relate to this when I attended my first live concert in '99. The Chemical Brothers were touring to promote the Surrender LP (probably my favourite album of theirs) and they were playing a show in Vancouver. I was 14 and had been listening to "rave music" for a couple years at that point, so when I found out my folks got me a plane ticket w/concert ticket for this show as a birthday gift I was pretty stoked. Back then I lived in northern B.C. where no concerts happen so it was a pretty big deal.

Anyways the show was amazing, DJ Shadow opened things up he was dropping fresh turntablism with recognizable hits like "Midnight in a perfect world"- I'd never seen anything like it! But when the chemical brothers hit the stage the place just exploded. It was just these two guys in front of you having the time of their lives rocking out on these monstrous rigs of equipment that would put most studios to shame. And for the first time it actually soaked in that this music I love so much can be created by people just like myself, and the effect that performing it can have on an audience really hooked me into the culture.... and I was 100% clean for the whole evening!!!! This was the single most pivitol inspirational moment for me as musician/dj.

As soon as I got home I started the long and windy road of teaching myself how to produce music. I was also hooked on dance music and the culture forever. The DJing didn't come until several years later when I just decided to start doing something with my collection of mp3s. 10 years later and I'm in deep as a DJ, producer and promoter- still lovin it!
    Last edited by wrong chris; 06-25-2009 at 04:11 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Str8upDrew View Post
    One of the biggest things i left out was, SCRIBBLEJAM!!!!!!! (R.I.P)
    Been going there every year since '98, and seeing the dj competitions was probably the reason i got behind the decks in the first place.
    Things like this helped it along...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw0v6kkasMk
    I was right in front of the stage for this.
    Wow! you were at that show???? man that shits legendary, Skratch Bastid is one of the best canadian turntablists around- I'm a huge fan of his work. Check these out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6t64Awsavg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzxESuZYQAU
    I was actually at this party but missed his sets because I was getting fucked up in "tent city" lol. thankfully someone recorded some of it!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast