What do i need/ should have to start?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What do i need/ should have to start?

Heres my idea, I am pretty set on it also. So i will get an S4 and TMA-1 beatport editions and then I was wondering if a pair of monitor speakers (rokkit 5's) is a good setup to start on...

http://www.proaudiostar.com/kontrol-...-monitors.html

http://www.amazon.com/AIAIAI-Beatpor...=TMA-1+edition

So I am 13 and trying to start DJing. I put out a bunch of ideas and everyone said i am spoiled because i like to make money by buying and selling stocks. So my parents said because DJing could be a job in college and after or even before OR EVEN A CAREER...they would chip in for half of the FIRST bill. So is this a good place for me to start if i already know traktor inside and out and have the WILL to be the best DJ i can and support what i need.?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Yes its a good setup

/thread

If you want a career or if you want get anywhere in dance music then you have to produce.... also buy it all off craigslist or eBay it will be much cheaper and you're parents will prefer not having to pay full price. and you won't get a gig ANYWHERE before you're 18 or 21 unless you want to play dubstep and top 40 to douchy teens.
    Techno Producer and Dj//Upcoming releases on Discovery Records and other labels//Australia//https://soundcloud.com/mrmye

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by MYE View Post
    and you won't get a gig ANYWHERE before you're 18 or 21 unless you want to play dubstep and top 40 to douchy teens.
    And there's nothing that says you WONT play anywhere, you may not be supposed to .. but thats a rule IMHO made to be broken, however age does make it more difficult.

Yes, if you really want good gigs learn to produce, release good tracks and that will give you good DJ gigs. You have plenty of time to honor your skills and build up your release catalogue before you are 18/21. With that time frame you also by then have a unique style so you bubble up from all the me-too-same-sounding productions.

Let's say purchase Ableton Live and learn it inside out first.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

You guys are crazy.

Production and DJing go hand in hand, but you don't need to produce to get good gigs. It's just a bonus that will ultimately take you to the next level faster, and higher.

Honestly? Do your research into what is going to be the best setup for you. And practice your ass off, and you'll want to because it's fun. Spend your free time digging for tracks that you can work into your sets that people may not have heard before, but are bangin'. Make YOUR sound stand out, by learning how to tell a story with your mix.

Being a good DJ doesn't mean you're a producer. Many producers aren't even good DJ's, and get a good DJ to "front" the spinning aspect of it. Not all, but it happens.

Really though, what you're looking at is one of the best controller setups out there, with great headphones, and good monitors. You'll be fine gear wise, it's just going to take time to practice. And then there is the aspect of networking and going to shows, which you can't do yet. But what you can do? Spin at friend's places for parties and the like.

Honestly there are a lot of options you can look into gear wise, and it's too difficult to sum them all up.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

You could always get bar DJ gigs but to get the really fun gigs where you *play music you like and control the destiny*, production is the way to go. Look at Wolfgang Gartner, DeadMau$, Laidback Luke, Kaskade et rest et rest. Well paid gigs, reason: production releases.

PS: It also of course depends on the personality. Personally I would not like doing gigs where I have to play top-20 Beatport Electro all night long...
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    You could always get bar DJ gigs but to get the really fun gigs where you *play music you like and control the destiny*, production is the way to go. Look at Wolfgang Gartner, DeadMau$, Laidback Luke, Kaskade et rest et rest. Well paid gigs, reason: production releases.

PS: It also of course depends on the personality. Personally I would not like doing gigs where I have to play top-20 Beatport Electro house all night long...
    You're looking at such a small percentage of people actually playing out though. Those are the "superstars" if you will. Just by merit alone, not everyone will/should/can achieve that level.

But playing out? Totally realistic. You don't need to be making tons of money if it's what you love doing. Playing bars, mobile DJing, smaller events? That's honestly realistic to start working toward.

You can't legit be telling someone that if they start DJing, they aren't ever going to amount to anything because they aren't Deadmau5 and producing tracks?

There are plenty of great DJ's who don't produce. And the backbone of the industry is local guys DJing and keeping the scene alive, and even the folks DJing top 40 stuff.

Shoot for the stars for sure, aim for perfection. But small steps. If you can get into production? Awesome. If you don't and still love the music? Don't sweat it.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Yes, I'm just trying to convince a newcomer to jut jump into production work as that's how they really progress fast in this business. Just look at Porter Robinson as a good example.

Nothing wrong with bar DJ gigs but if someone wants to really fly around the country and the world... As for normal DJ:ing as a career, I would never recommend my kids for that, but if they become good with production work (and get good degree at something at the same time as a fallback), then it's quite doable.
    ---

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    Yes, I'm just trying to convince a newcomer to jut jump into production work as that's how they really progress fast in this business. Just look at Porter Robinson as a good example.

Nothing wrong with bar DJ gigs but if someone wants to really fly around the country and the world... As for normal DJ:ing as a career, I would never recommend my kids for that, but if they become good with production work (and get good degree at something at the same time as a fallback), then it's quite doable.

But if you take porter robinson and all those like him (which is somewhat few), and then take all the people who have started out just mixing and now dj bars wherever for a decent amount of pay, porter is very outnumbered.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast