more subforums..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default more subforums..

hey guys..

i want to suggest implementing more subforums to get a little bit more structure in the DJTT forums..as far as i know this isnt really hard to do..

was thinking about some forums like:

mapping questions
    buy/sell stuff
    offtopic
    and some others i just forgot..

just found this thread http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297 but i think it's kinda outdated..

what do you think about that?

cheers..
    wp

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Personally, I think we should just organize differently. I don't think we need an Off Topic forum, cause we kinda just use the General Discussion for it. I think we need to organize where questions go, though, because General Discussion is getting really cluttered.

If we had a Controller Mapping Section (with different forums for questions and actual mappings); A Controllers section (with a forum for controller specific questions, a forum for reviews); A Modification section (with a forum for Modification questions, and one for completed mods); A Mixes section (left as is, but possibly split into Mixes and Production); a DJTT section (pretty much as is, but including the Product Support Forum); and a General Discussion forum which I think we could encompass with Buy/Sell and Offtopic stuff, without having different forums for it.

I think it would streamline and clear up a LOT of confusion people are having around here, and make everything more manageable without having too many forums to navigate through.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

The only thing I would say though, is that if we did have all these subforums, I would almost be afraid that most questions wouldn't be answered. Obviously, the General Discussion forum gets the most use, and therefore most views. I don't know, I guess I just feel like most people wouldn't comb through a whole bunch of subforums.

Just my opinion.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

I think a questions/tutorial subforum would be a good motivator for helping people. I think it should stay with the TT spirit and be technical instead of turning into the over generic "I've searched the entire internet but cannot find which setup I should by for mixing goth-death metal-house" threads that have overpowered the other forums.

It really is a double edged sword; Lambox, I agree with you that the subforums could end up leaving many people with unanswered questions, but I have begun to notice myself that there's been a big influx of posters which has resulted in a more confusing and hard to follow General Discussion board.

So it's really a +1 from me for some more subforums.
    17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz i7, 4GB RAM; Vestax VCI-100, NI Audio Kontrol 1/ MBox Mini, M-Audio Oxygen 8, Beyerdynamic DT-150 cans; Pro Tools LE 8, Ableton Live 8, Logic Studio 9, Traktor Pro

@dvl: like your idea..

@lambox: i'm actually always hitting the "new posts" button, to get all the updated stuff since my last visit.. it's the easiest way to keep track of new posts, so questions won't be overread..

I think we need to be careful, though. We are a small forum, and we want to avoid TOO much specialized forums to keep things easy and accessible. But we definitely need a better organization system to prevent any of us (especially Bento) from needing to consistently and constantly move posts around cause they are all wrong.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffm View Post
    I think it should stay with the TT spirit and be technical instead of turning into the over generic "I've searched the entire internet but cannot find which setup I should by for mixing goth-death metal-house" threads that have overpowered the other forums.
    +1

DJTTwiki maybe? I don't know if there is enough contributers vs. lurkers, but it could be organized to answer the silly things. Hopefully reducing the amount of "will my Tandy computer work with Ableton" and "HELP!!! My computer is on fire, but sound isn't coming out of the speakers" questions that can be answered really easily by using google and a few minutes. More forward thinking and progression, than backwards, but still retain the friendly chit chat and resourse sharing that is pretty unique to this site.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

That's been something I've really dreaded this forum becoming, and I think the community we've built has prevented it from morphing into "These are the basics of DJing with computers". I just hope we can keep that going.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I think most people are guilty of asking something that has already been asked, though. I've absolutely done it. Do you hit the search button before every single time you make a thread? I don't. Not because I don't care or something, I just don't do it all the time.

I believe that even if there was a DJTT wiki, most people probably wouldn't search it before posting.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast