What I am waiting for

Default What I am waiting for

After seeing DJ gear go the way of the bridge of Startrek, I am longing for the days of my 1200 pitch fader, a rotary volume knob, and a durable cross fader. Why, with the digital revolution does all of our gear need to built like $100 mixers? I am not forgetting about Allen and Heath, good gear, big price tag, bigger footprint. VCI 100: it's almost there, too cramped and the pitch faders are just not accurate enough. I would love a Rane style (think Rotary empath chopped in half horizontally and thin) controller with the option to have a sound card with an independent USB!!! Attached is a rough concept of what I am thinking about. Where oh where is the 1200 pitch fader midi controller??? Technics while your ship is sinking, make a freakin 1200 midi controller!!! How sick would a super thin midi version of the sl-dz1200 be with out the motorized platter. I have been using the stanton SC3, and touch screens and feather sensitive controllers make me more nervous in the booth than a sandstorm during a vinyl set at a desert rave. We need to make digital sets more legit and bridge the gap between 3 grand worth of Pioneer gear in your living room and our $500 DJ "toys".

Quote Originally Posted by spyder90230 View Post
    the pitch faders are just not accurate enough.
    my understanding is that each midi control has 0 to 127 values. so assuming the fader sends each value accurately, that's about as good as it gets. you could use a longer fader control to space out the 127 values, but it's still the same amount of control on the pitch...

i'm no midi expert, so maybe i'm missing something

Tech Guru

The midi pitch fader argument has been hashed out many times, and it boils down the fact that we need better than 7 bit midi on the vci-100. Modern controllers need something like 10 bit midi to be decently accurate w/ pitchfaders.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Guru

With the rest I agree though, this is because the view of the digital dj is only increasing recently. The more the companies realize that we need legit gear and don't want toys the more we will see.
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    The midi pitch fader argument has been hashed out many times, and it boils down the fact that we need better than 7 bit midi on the vci-100. Modern controllers need something like 10 bit midi to be decently accurate w/ pitchfaders.
    or OSC, highly accurate

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

I'm talking about feel and build quality, the most important quality of the 1200 pitch fader is not accuracy (that is up to your train-wrecking ass) it's how you can set your finger with a fair amount of pressure against it, close your eyes and listen to the beat.

Tech Mentor

Ehhh. Just get a ns7.