wondering if this laptop can handle traktor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default wondering if this laptop can handle traktor?

basically for reasons i wont bore you with new laptops give me migraines, im sensitive to LED backlit screens. My 2007 Macbook has a CCFL lit screen and i can look at it for hours on end, however it can barely run traktor with any effects. ive obviously been to Drs, had eyes tested, used antiglare screens etc..doesnt work..

I need an upgrade but really don't want to fork out on a new mac I can barely look at or need to use an external monitor to look at as I obviously cant do that at gigs.
    However I found a friend who barely uses a 17" Macbook pro, model A1261 (2008). im pretty sure its one of the last models before all screens turned to LED backlit, so should be easy on my eyes and i'm thinking to make him an offer...however I obviously cant try out traktor on it before buying . I wondered if anyone in the know thought it would run Traktor plus sample decks/effects etc pretty well?

these are the specs i found for the laptop...really appreciate any help here...

Intro. Date: February 26, 2008* Disc. Date: January 6, 2009
    Order No: MB166LL/A Model No: A1261 (EMC 2199)
    Subfamily: Early 2008 Model ID: MacBookPro4,1
    Std. RAM: 2 GB, 4 GB* Std. VRAM: 512 MB
    Std. HD: 250, 320 GB* (5400 RPM) Std. Optical: 8X DL "SuperDrive"

You might want to upgrade to to 4Gb RAM (cheap) and SSD (somewhat cheap) but I would get a newer version myself, or a new one if possible.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    You might want to upgrade to to 4Gb RAM (cheap) and SSD (somewhat cheap) but I would get a newer version myself, or a new one if possible.
    hey Ksandvik, yeah I know memory wouldnt cost a lot, and theres the option to upgrade to SSD but I dont want to pay a lot to upgrade an old comp, otherwise i can probably upgrade the 2007 mbp I've got, as I recently replaced the logic board and hard drive after they both failed. I cant buy a new one, i cant look at them without getting migraine, that's why i'm hopeful this old version might run traktor ok as the processor (2.5ghz) is much more powerful than my current one (2.16ghz)

If you get a good price on the 2008 one, then get it and add another 2Gb of RAM to start with. I'm running Traktor on a 2007 MBP, it was just gathering dust in my studio and I'm taking it to gigs so if it dies there I don't mind. Now, I'm running 2.1.3 on it so far, not 2.5.1. The analyze phase is not so fast but then again I analyze tracks before they are played.

Just make sure that the 2008 price is not over-the-top, whoever sells them should not exactly expect a big resale value from that kind of an old laptop.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post

Just make sure that the 2008 price is not over-the-top, whoever sells them should not exactly expect a big resale value from that kind of an old laptop.
    Sadly Mac resale prices are usualy ridiculously high compared to similarly old technology.

I run Traktor on a 2009 Macbook Air with only 2gig of RAM. However it was barely tolerable till I added an SSD. Once I added the SSD it feels faster then my Dell laptop I got last year.

+1 on the upgraded memory... also the 17 inch models have dedicated graphics so that means more cpu for audio , you can also look into DSP cards if you need extra processing power for audio

If it helps, I'm running Traktor 2.5.1 on a 2007, NON pro, regular old white macbook. 2GB of ram...1.86 processor. It runs the software with ZERO issues. CPU loads never go above about half way. I can load tracks, remix sets, 4 decks worth of effects going and be online simultaneously without problems. Hope that helps.
    MacPro 8 core 16GB • 22" Cinema HD • 17" MacBook PRO 4GB • 2x Technics 1200 mk2 • 2x Eurolite flight cases • Numark 4TRAK • Vestax PMC-07 Pro • NI Traktor Kontrol F1 • NI Traktor Pro 2.6 • Ableton 9 Suite • Akai MPK49 • MDR-V700DJ hps • AIAIAI TMA-1 Studio hps • 2x KRK Rokit6 monitors G2 • 2x JBL LSR4328P professional monitors • Arturia MINILAB • Focusrite Saffire PRO14 • Blue SPARK mic • MASCHINE 2 with 2.2 • 1 mill-e-on VSTs

Jack Bastard

Quote Originally Posted by kindaFAST View Post
    If it helps, I'm running Traktor 2.5.1 on a 2007, NON pro, regular old white macbook. 2GB of ram...1.86 processor. It runs the software with ZERO issues. CPU loads never go above about half way. I can load tracks, remix sets, 4 decks worth of effects going and be online simultaneously without problems. Hope that helps.
    Hallelujah for the sensible posters of the board. Listen to this man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Abbott View Post
    basically for reasons i wont bore you with new laptops give me migraines, im sensitive to LED backlit screens. My 2007 Macbook has a CCFL lit screen and i can look at it for hours on end, however it can barely run traktor with any effects. ive obviously been to Drs, had eyes tested, used antiglare screens etc..doesnt work..

I need an upgrade but really don't want to fork out on a new mac I can barely look at or need to use an external monitor to look at as I obviously cant do that at gigs.
    However I found a friend who barely uses a 17" Macbook pro, model A1261 (2008). im pretty sure its one of the last models before all screens turned to LED backlit, so should be easy on my eyes and i'm thinking to make him an offer...however I obviously cant try out traktor on it before buying . I wondered if anyone in the know thought it would run Traktor plus sample decks/effects etc pretty well?

these are the specs i found for the laptop...really appreciate any help here...

Intro. Date: February 26, 2008* Disc. Date: January 6, 2009
    Order No: MB166LL/A Model No: A1261 (EMC 2199)
    Subfamily: Early 2008 Model ID: MacBookPro4,1
    Std. RAM: 2 GB, 4 GB* Std. VRAM: 512 MB
    Std. HD: 250, 320 GB* (5400 RPM) Std. Optical: 8X DL "SuperDrive"

you can always use old Traktor Pro 1.2.7

Quote Originally Posted by kindaFAST View Post
    thats cool, i can only think that you dont lower the latency too much? Id rather have mine very low as I scratch a lot..more important to me than effects for example...sorry I should have mentioned this at the beginning!if i have the latency at a low enough rate that it reacts similar to real vinyl then i can barely run an effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast