Studio Monitor Question
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Studio Monitor Question

What are some good studio monitors for around $150? Some suggestions

i am looking for a pair of them for that price. Also, I am going with an all digital set up with a VCI-100. I would just connect the speakers to my ext. soundcard correct?

Tech Wizard

Yes, they connect to your card outputs. Can't offer any advice on brands as I use a hifi amp and bookshelf speakers, but have you considered how you'll adjust volume on them.
    If you have a soundcard with volume control then it's easy otherwise you'll have to adjust on the back of the monitors or in software which is kind of a pain.

Tech Guru

That's not enough to get a single "studio quality" monitor, let alone a pair. You might be able to find a used pair of KRK Rokit5s for that price. If you're looking at new, look for the Behringer B2031P Passive Monitors and power them with an existing receiver or one from a pawn shop.

also keep in mind that you will eventually want a sub to go with them. it makes a real difference.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Why are you looking for studio monitors? Are you producing beats? Are you just spinning?

J
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I need something so i can play out in my house and for some just small house partys. What do you recommend

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I don't think you want studio monitors for that. You want a PA system. Studio monitors are going to give you a much different sound, a lot colder and not as punchy because, well, they aren't for general listening purposes. You can use an amp and some unpowered shelf speakers, or get a PA system that packs a punch based on size requirements. Another idea is to get something simple for your home and when you spin house parties rent some gear and just include it in the fee. That way you get an idea of what you need.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

If you're talking about playing out, for $150 you can get an okay used pair of Soundtech 2-ways, which are reliable workhorses. Maybe B-52s if you can find them. You're still gonna want a sub, though. And you still need to amplify them with something.

I've used my home setup for small parties, but you're still talking about a decent soundcard, two monitors (Event PS6 in my case) and a sub (M-Audio BX10s).

Even getting off cheap for a house party setup, you're talking $400-500.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

what you want is here...

www.billfitzmaurice.com

i've been reading this guys stuff for awhile and he really has it down.

Quote Originally Posted by jaycee8980 View Post
    I need something so i can play out in my house and for some just small house partys. What do you recommend
    If it's for your house you could always go with a nice 2.1 computer speaker setup. that way you get the full range for a very moderate price.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast