Visiting LA for first time - Need advice.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Visiting LA for first time - Need advice.

I'm going to LA from the 1st to the 6th of November, i'll be hitting up the Hard Haunted Mansion fest for fun one of the days (http://www.hardfest.com). I've looked into staying downtown and some people say it's not that great to walk around at night time, and besides that, all the half decent hotels are booked full. Can anyone help me out with a solid hotel to stay in (Under $300 a night)? Gotta be close to some decent clubs (I like tech/deep house/bass music) and the park where the event is. Thanks in advance .

hotels are ghetto around the clubs and expensive .. the hotels downtown are nice and affordable but their parking rates blow ... everytime i book a hotel i use priceline and i always get the best deals using there negotiator option. also dont forget to check out this link for other events in LA around your stay.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

go see Steel Panther live.

Damn. They are going to be in Europe. "(

Tech Mentor

If you want clubs you gotta go to hollywood... clubs like.. playhouse, supperclub, lure, etc... Although, if you stay in Hollywood it can get really pricey.. I really dont know the rates due to being a local, but check out the Roosevelt hotel, W hotel, and SLS.. They are definitely high priced hotels, but they are practically next door to all the clubs I mentioned.

Use Yelp to find good places and deals, it's worth checking the reviews as some hotels and motels in LA are, hmm, hmm, very interesting places as a Japanese would say. *)

*) But it's nothing compared to a young couple stumbling into a around-the-corner hotel in Vienna late and asking for a room, where the receptionist asked multiple times, do you really want a room in this hotel. When the neon lights went on later in the evening the young couple figured out what kind of place they picked...
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Downtown is not bad at night; it's become a big party neighborhood in the past several years with lots of bars and things, many upscale, and a great artwalk on thursday nights once a month. But if you don't know where you're going you could easily end up in skid row, which is really depressing and you will get approached by many homeless folks asking for change or wanting to sell or buy drugs. If you're a dude with other dudes, nobody's gonna mess with you; it's not gangland. But if you're a girl alone you'll get harassed. And don't leave a car full of valuables parked in skid row or it will get broken into; common sense really. The main thing is just check out a map if you're going to wander around and be careful where you go; it can be unnerving to wander onto a street full of makeshift shanties. Lots of really nice hotels down there but prices won't be so friendly; finding the right balance is tricky because there are some skeevy fleabags around too. If you're lucky you can get a deal on the Standard hotel downtown; they have rooftop parties there that are off the hook, and it's a beautiful hotel. Probably at least two bills a night though. If you can get a deal on Miyako hotel that's a good bet too, not too pricey but definitely not a fleabag. Plus a great karaoke bar filled with Japanese businessmen and all your favorite J-pop to sing along to, lol....

If you want clubs, yeah look at hollywood, but don't even bother with any of the hotels Armand mentioned if you want to spend less than $300 a night. Look a little further east and you'll find some good deals; I recommend the Dixie; my mom always stays there when she visits and usually gets it for $100-150/night. It used to be a Days Inn and it got a nice facelift so it's real nice inside. The neighborhood is noisy coz it's Hollywood but it's not the huge pile of tourists and drunkards that you'll find closer to the walk of fame, and a 10 minute walk or Metro ride west and you're in the thick of it, plenty of clubs for you to blow all the cash you saved on a hotel. A bit cheaper option is the Hollywood Downtowner which has my favorite neon sign and is not a bad hotel at all though it looks a bit iffy from outside. There's a Best Western (called Best Western 101 I think) at Franklin and Gower that probably isn't too pricey either. All of this stuff is in hollywood though; if your party is downtown it's a quick Metro ride on the red line but you'll need a taxi back after midnight or 1 (or just stay out past 5 am and take the morning metro back).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

oh also my new favorite hotel search service is booking.com; I used it through my stay in Japan and had great luck finding good deals and there are lots of reviews on places; they have plenty of info on hotels here in the US too.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Belasco is insane, and I think they still do EDM nights on Thursdays. But they could have canned it, I haven't checked up with my friends there in a while.

The Ramada Inn on W Olympic Blvd is pretty decent for price.. its just behind the staples center and nokia theatre on the edge of downtown and is about a $30 cab ride into hollywood. Avoid the Rodeway Inn across the road from the Ramada - its a hole! Jerry's Motel around the corner on Lucas Ave is ok for price too.

I lived in LA 28 years ago for a year. (showing his age)
    have fun bro, stay safe
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast