Gig music advice! Please help!
    Tech Wizard

Default Gig music advice! Please help!

I have a gig for about 50-75 13-year-olds.I have been getting music from the top 40's but not sure how to mix that stuff (well). Does anyone know of any good youtube tutorials for this? I mainly mix house/electro... are there techniques similar to mixing electro and house that I can use in music for this gig? ALso where can I find some more stuff that 13-year-olds will like (while keeping the parents happy *no dubstep or at least no heavy dubstep*) Also what about mashups and I need to keep the music clean, no explicits.

Here are some samples of my mixing.

Dirty Dutch Mixing

House Mixing

Electro/Progressive Mixing

THANKS FOR THE HELP!

Tech Guru

didnt listen to the mixes but most top 40 music now its within the 120-128bpm range so you should be able to mix it fine with typical house, electro, dutch anything. And honestly 13 year olds wouldnt say hey this song is too fast they just wanna hear the song so dont be worried too much about moving the bpm up too much
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Tech Guru

If you dnt know how to mix diff. tempos and what not, you should def learn, but I really wouldnt sweat it at this gig. My suggestion is to just let the songs play out and slam the next song in at the end, it seems like that type of gig to me. My only other suggestion is to stay away from music they never heard before, even if it's a remix of a song they might know. Good Luck.

Tech Wizard

Like mentioned, play the version the kids will know. Play the exact version on the radio. Also make sure everything is clean. Sounds like the parents will be around so keep it clean, clean, clean. The times I've played middle school dances they wanted all the songs that have a dance to them. So you might want to brush up on that.