Shifting Gear

Thread: Shifting Gear

Tech Mentor

Default Shifting Gear

So, I'm using Traktor and an MC-6000 for pretty much everything. 'Had the chance to demo SC-3900 decks and Denon's 1700 mixer a couple weeks back and now I'm suffering from not really enjoying my TP & controller setup nearly as much. Having command of the large scale hardware just really changed something for me. I felt so much more connected to the music and the audience with the 3900s. Before this experience, I never had any issues getting around with 4 decks on the MC6000. Now, it seems almost claustrophobic and un-engaging. But it's not like my setup doesn't "do" everything the CDJ type system did. Admittedly, I've been more than a little underwhelmed (annoyed, actually) with Traktor since the remix decks came on scene, as they essentially neutered my once all-powerful controller. Nevermind the fact that I just cant find a use for them.

So here I am seeking opinions.

What will I loose if I take the plunge and go with 4 decks of Denon 3900 (or 2900) & Engine vs. Traktor and the controller? Am I crazy? Is there a side of this I'm not seeing? Or is this just me being unhappy with a Vette after driving the Ferrari?
    Last edited by HigherFi; 09-27-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Tech Guru

Why not 3900's and Traktor? I'm only asking that because they work awesome w Traktor

Tech Mentor

Do they? I didn't try it. For me, with each release of Traktor, something always ends up askew in my track collection. Beat grids get a little wacky, or remix decks show up, or .tsi mappings are off, et al. Also, I think NI really seem to be writing for their own hardware, anymore. Then there's the question of will I even need it? The Engine iPAD app was great. I'm not ruling out Traktor per se, but, we seem to be moving in opposite directions. I might miss some of the effects, though.

Tech Guru

Yeah they def do. They can work as just MIDI controllers, but since Traktor doesnt support rotating platter or HID for these players they also have a Hybrid MIDI mode that basically is timecode/MIDI. The player spits out timecode signal (without the need for timecode cd's) and MIDI commands at the same time. I have mine mapped they way I like, but Denon has a default mapping to. Anyways, if you're not attached to Traktor, then between Engine, the features on the players, and the FX on the 1700 , sounds like you wouldnt be missing much. (On a side note.....My 3900's are up for sale to make space for new gear)

I am currently looking into the exact same thing. Yes my denon mc6000 with traktor does everything that I need it to do, but after playing on a pair of 3900's I love them. Using traktor has become a bit boring for me to be honest (although as a mobile dj i don't use half of the features on there) but the feeling I got from playing on a proper set of decks was amazing. Didn't get chance to use the ipad engine app but it looks superb.

Now saving up lots of money for 2 x 3900's and a x1600! Gives me the best of both worlds, straight playing using just the 3900's and x1600, or I can connect it all up to traktor if I feel the need to!
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

The 3900 (and the 2900) are so awesome.
    The 3900 using Traktor Scratch is the best jog available imo - perfect 1:1 control.
    SC | MC

Hey...I f you feel like it may be a good move. Go for it! Sometimes our setup gets stale. We all need to shake things up a bit from time to time. Of course, that is also a great excuse to buy new gear :-)
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000