Tech staff, a love / hate relationship . . ?

Default Tech staff, a love / hate relationship . . ?

Generally techy's are great for problem solving, and as long as you don't act arrogant and keep out of the red us DJ's and them get along just fine!

But . .

This weekend I played a gig (not going to disclose event / location as its not fair to target someone), arrived 10 mins early and played using CD's. Tested both CDJ's before starting and one CDJ's auto-cue was being proper dodgy (kept turning itself off and decided to skip a few seconds of the start of each song).

I made the techy aware of this issue and asked him to take a look and possible replace the CDJ but he was insistent of no issues and told me to stop whining! With some very sloppy mixes he eventually realised there was an issue 30 mins into the set but didn't find a replacement till after I finished! It was a shambles, and an embarrassment to play! I can completely understand that he is also doing his job, but there was no need to be so arrogant that he was right?

Anyone else had similar love / hate relations with tech-staff?
    | NI Traktor Scratch Pro 2.1.3 | Steinberg Cubase 7.0 | Yamaha HS80m Monitors | Oxygen 25 |
    | Allen & Heath Xone:62 | Pioneer CDJ 200 | NI Kontrol X1 | Novation Launchpad |

Facebook | Twitter | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

I played at a bar once where the booth was right under a couple of mains hanging from the ceiling, I kept getting feedback from the mic and had to surf the mixing board every time I wanted to yell at the crowd! The bar owner insisted that it must have been my fault because their regular dj never had any problem. I got a hold of their resident a couple of weeks later and mentioned it, and found out that he was a karaoke dj. He never used the microphones himself, they only ever got used in front of the karaoke screen well away from the dj booth!
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

I'm sorry but neither of these seem to be offensive to me at all. I feel a DJ should know how to deal with mic feedback, if that's the kind of DJing he/she is doing and most clubs/bars have something dodgy with their equipment. Nothing a manual cueing couldn't fix in your case, Gribble. Both seem fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    I'm sorry but neither of these seem to be offensive to me at all. I feel a DJ should know how to deal with mic feedback, if that's the kind of DJing he/she is doing and most clubs/bars have something dodgy with their equipment. Nothing a manual cueing couldn't fix in your case, Gribble. Both seem fairly minor in the grand scheme of things.
    It wasn't an issue of not being able to still use the CDJ, it wasn't as responsive as I wanted it to be. That's how I held down the set was having to manually cue the CDJ, but being 16 bars late from the point where I wanted to switch was irritating as each 2 songs it ended up going into the break down with really dropped the energy of the mix.

If you are billed to play a venue, you expect the equipment to at least be regularly maintained and if not working to be replaced if possible (which the option was in this case).
    | NI Traktor Scratch Pro 2.1.3 | Steinberg Cubase 7.0 | Yamaha HS80m Monitors | Oxygen 25 |
    | Allen & Heath Xone:62 | Pioneer CDJ 200 | NI Kontrol X1 | Novation Launchpad |

Facebook | Twitter | Mixcloud | Soundcloud

i had this one guy giving me shit for not using a mac he then went on to talk shit about the SL3 i used at that time and how the Traktor Audio soundcards were soooooooooo far superior. i though to myself "yeah, whatever man" and played a three hour gig.