How do you organize your music? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I couldn't find alot of the tracks in my buy list on torrent sites. I'm sure if you play top 40/electro house/dubstep you can find anything you want. Alot of the tracks I play are not in the beatport top 100 track packs you could get from demonoid.
    Well that's because it's Demonoid, a public tracker. To find the good stuff you've got to have access to the private ones. Occasionally on older, lesser-known tracks, I have a much easier time finding them from a torrent tracker than finding a legit place to pay for them.

I'd much rather play out of a folder of 75 tracks of music I curated as opposed to having 2000 tracks that I have to sift through.

As would I. But library size shouldn't have anything to do with where you acquire your music from. You should be equally discriminatory and picky regardless of where you're picking up your songs.

Yeah but it's immoral and a thumb in the face to the hard working artist who made the track. You can justify it any way you want but it's still wrong and if an artist you like can't make a living at it, guess what? They aren't going to be able to continue making the tracks you're diggin.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

library size is directly proportional to how you acquire your music. Torrenting leads to having bigger libraries. (for the most part)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Yeah but it's immoral and a thumb in the face to the hard working artist who made the track. You can justify it any way you want but it's still wrong and if an artist you like can't make a living at it, guess what? They aren't going to be able to continue making the tracks you're diggin.
    I absolutely agree. There are plenty of legitimate arguments against piracy. I just felt the need to point out that the quality>quantity point everyone brings up doesn't make any sense.

library size is directly proportional to how you acquire your music. Torrenting leads to having bigger libraries. (for the most part)
    I disagree with that. I don't like shitty tracks any more just because they're free, and I don't let cost (or lack of) determine what I spin.

I use iTunes and need covert art to find things. BPM and genre tags help. Comment tags (for me) are useless. If I don't remember it from cover art and maybe a short listen to the middle of the track, a 30-page diatribe won't make me picture that song in my head.

First I want to say that you for sure need to BUY your music because it supports the artist who made it. (All I'm going to say about that)

As far as organizing music goes I try not to worry about the folders so much. After I analyze everything with Mixed in Key I then import it into iTunes. I have iTunes set to COPY the songs into my library (One big folder) so I don’t have to worry about where it is.

Then I get to tagging things. When I tag in the genre folder I put all the "genres" that that would fall under separated by a slash with a space on both sides (/)

From here I create smart playlists in iTunes for just about everything I can think of. (Genre , key, artist, tools, ect) So once I am in Traktor I can use the iTunes smart lists.

I use the smart playlists because I can add a track one time and so long as I have tagged and keyed it correctly it will show up in dozens of playlists depending on what I am looking for.

I don’t know if any of that makes sense. But it all works in my head and that’s what's important when I am looking for a song. lol

I first started to use this method from an article I read on the topic. It’s a lot of work getting at all setup. But once it is it takes all the thought out of organizing your music. You can find what your looking for on the fly, easily, and quickly.

Here is the article I was referring to:

http://blog.dubspot.com/how-to-creat...sic-in-itunes/

I just organize it by genres, and then, I put insied each genre folder, a folder for each ep/cd

Quote Originally Posted by 0.0 View Post
    I disagree with that. I don't like shitty tracks any more just because they're free, and I don't let cost (or lack of) determine what I spin.
    disagree all you want. The reality is is that if you had to pay for all of your tracks your library would be smaller.

Professionals pay for music and don't need huge libraries. Torrent users are lame, can't even call them amateurs, they are below that.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Wizard

I would say, don't let yourself be worried about how MUCH you have, spend more time getting to know your tracks. Before I buy anything I listen to the preview of the song or check out if the full version is available to stream on something like youtube, to make sure I'm really feeling the track. I made the mistake early on to just horde everything I could get my hands on and ultimately went back and deleted a lot of things that I could never see myself enjoying. I know its "for the crowd" but if your not passionate about what your playing, you shouldn't automatically expect the crowd to be right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast