How do you organize your music?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default How do you organize your music?

Sup guys, beginner mixer asking a pretty simple question; how do you guys organize your music folder?

Do you do it by genre?
    By BPM?
    By preset mixes?

I start with the search function. There's LOTS of threads about this already.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    I start with the search function. There's LOTS of threads about this already.

Doesn't using the search function take away from the whole Dj experience? In regards to constantly looking at the laptop screen instead of your equipment.

by feel...

how do you do it now?

(sorry SirReal...I think it's time to start picking brains )

Quote Originally Posted by DemiAlex View Post
    Doesn't using the search function take away from the whole Dj experience? In regards to constantly looking at the laptop screen instead of your equipment.
    you have to be realistic about how many songs you are going to play at any given time. NO ONE wants to search 200 plus songs at a time. What kind of music do you play and how many tracks are we talking about?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    you have to be realistic about how many songs you are going to play at any given time. NO ONE wants to search 200 plus songs at a time. What kind of music do you play and how many tracks are we talking about?
    Yes that was what I was referring to, having a large collection of music in one folder and searching for one track in a 200+ folder is quite tedious and seems like it takes off from your mixing time.

That's why I was asking how you guys organize your music into smaller increments.

(here we go)

what type of music are you spinning? and are you spinning just for fun? If so...keep all those tracks you love in the main folder. If you are trying to get better, digging for music (no fucking torrenting), reading blogs, going to parties, then you need to regularly move tracks in and out of your main playing folders. No one wants to hear "levels" one more time, i don't care what remix you have. BUT...it does help to learn by playing familiar music.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    (here we go)

what type of music are you spinning? and are you spinning just for fun? If so...keep all those tracks you love in the main folder. If you are trying to get better, digging for music (no fucking torrenting), reading blogs, going to parties, then you need to regularly move tracks in and out of your main playing folders. No one wants to hear "levels" one more time, i don't care what remix you have. BUT...it does help to learn by playing familiar music.
    I'm primarily focused on progressive trance/house. And currently I am learning the basics with the intention of going as far as I can with it.

I was thinking about organizing the music via genre? Seems like an easy way to locate what type of track I want based on what the venue/crowd desires.

how many tracks are in your main folder? and how many folders would you make to organize them?

i started with: early/middle/late

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast