Hooking up KRK's to Audio 8 or just Laptop. HELP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Hooking up KRK's to Audio 8 or just Laptop. HELP!

Hi I am looking to know how to hook these up correctly. I bought these very fast today because I was offered them at a price I could not refuse and seen them working in action etc. so I know there is nothing wrong with the speakers. However, I am having a couple of problems setting them up.

I have the KRK Rokit 5's, Audio 8 and a Macbook pro. I sound a bit dopey asking these questions because, in theory, I should know all of this. However, I thought this was the place to ask without judgment

I have tried hooking the Rokit 5's to my Audio 8 and play through Traktor, Ableton and made my macs sound settings to Audio 8 to play through iTunes and every time, there has been audio coming through but really distorted that any song is unidentifiable.

The only cables I have used for audio from the Rokit 5's is a standard RCA (Red & White) cables. I think this is the issue but I am almost certain that I can connect these to the Audio 8 because there is no other possible outputs on the Audio 8 that I can connect to the Speakers.

I know that adapters will kill a bit of the sound quality so I want to stay away from these as much as possible and do not want to be buying any more expensive equipment to make these work. I have also tried to get these working through my vestax mixer to no avail.

Any help would be great.

Cheers
    M

You tried xlr/balanced outs from Vestax mixer to the krks?
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

Vestax mixer?

To the OP: What exactly did you connect to what?

A standard (i.e. paired) RCA cable won't help you, as you need one cable to go to each of the speakers. I don't know what KRK includes in their packages, but my Adam A5X came with two single mono RCA cables, which is what you need as well.

Just connect the white (left) output of the Audio8 to the RCA/unbalanced input of your left speaker through a mono RCA cable, repeat for the right side and you should be good.

If you can't buy new cables right now you can of course also try splitting a paired cable up, so you get two mono cables.

Tech Mentor

Yea I have tried that there now and thought it would have solved it but nothing. This was similar to a problem I had with my Traktor s4 and the fuzzy sound coming out. Could it be an audio 8 update I might need?

He said he had a Vestax mixer at the end of his post
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Mentor

Oops, my bad.

Then trying the balanced outputs definetely is a good idea.

Shouldn't be a problem with the soundcards drivers, though.

If everything is connected properly and you still have issues you don't have when you're using headphones/other speakers the speakers might be broken.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by TCMuc View Post
    Vestax mixer?

To the OP: What exactly did you connect to what?

A standard (i.e. paired) RCA cable won't help you, as you need one cable to go to each of the speakers. I don't know what KRK includes in their packages, but my Adam A5X came with two single mono RCA cables, which is what you need as well.

Just connect the white (left) output of the Audio8 to the RCA/unbalanced input of your left speaker through a mono RCA cable, repeat for the right side and you should be good.

If you can't buy new cables right now you can of course also try splitting a paired cable up, so you get two mono cables.

I have tried it with two mono cables and still nothing. I have tried it with one single mono cable to see if one speaker would work and still nothing just the same distorted sound.

I have also 2012-10-04 20.21.19.jpg2012-10-04 20.21.25.jpg2012-10-04 20.40.27.jpg2012-10-04 20.45.36.jpg

Tech Mentor

In this photo I have tried to link up my Audio 8 directly to the Rokit 5's for sound. I did this with both paired and single (white) Mono RCA cables and still nothing. I have routed my soundcard in Ableton and Traktor to come out of 1/2 Output. 2012-10-04 20.21.19.jpg

In these pictures I have connected two XLR cables from the Vestax Mixers master output to the Rokit 5 speakers. I have the Audio 8 output being fed into a line connection in the mixer. Still just distorted noise.2012-10-04 20.40.27.jpg2012-10-04 20.45.36.jpg

Tech Mentor

Thanks for all the help by the way but still not resolved As much as I would feel ripped off right now, I know these are working because I seen them in action lol

Tech Mentor

By the looks I'd say it looks like you hooked everything up correctly.

Do you have the possibility to try your speakers out somewhere else, maybe at a friend's who has a working setup so you can just exchange the speakers?

Did the speakers work when you bought them?

If you bought them in a store maybe those guys can help you as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast