DDJ - SX vs. Z2 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DDJ - SX vs. Z2

Awkward, I think his comment might have being in regard to the size of the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by elliot1106 View Post
    Awkward, I think his comment might have being in regard to the size of the controller.
    That's what I took out of it too. Imagine rocking up to a club and trying to set this thing up.

I like the idea/look of the SX... I'm just not too keen on swapping software, especially for Serato DJ which as first-gen software I'm imagining bugs.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    That's what I took out of it too. Imagine rocking up to a club and trying to set this thing up.

I like the idea/look of the SX... I'm just not too keen on swapping software, especially for Serato DJ which as first-gen software I'm imagining bugs.
    Maybe im wrong but im sure he was having a go

The size of the unit? really? I use the DDJS1 and controllers are easier to set up then Turntables/CDJ's and a mixer.

The fact the SX has phono imputs makes me think that you maybe able to use turntables with a control records, but i could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyhollywood View Post
    Maybe im wrong but im sure he was having a go

The size of the unit? really? I use the DDJS1 and controllers are easier to set up then Turntables/CDJ's and a mixer.

The fact the SX has phono imputs makes me think that you maybe able to use turntables with a control records, but i could be wrong.
    Yeah but in a club that already has CDJs, 1200s, a 4 channel mixer? You don't rock up at a club and have to plug the turntables etc in, so no a controller isn't easier. It's just too big and most booths are cramped enough as it is, that and it's utterly pointless when clubs have top of the line gear already.

I have a DDJT1. I'd never dream of bringing that to a club, it'd be a nightmare.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    Yeah but in a club that already has CDJs, 1200s, a 4 channel mixer? You don't rock up at a club and have to plug the turntables etc in, so no a controller isn't easier. It's just too big and most booths are cramped enough as it is, that and it's utterly pointless when clubs have top of the line gear already.

I have a DDJT1. I'd never dream of bringing that to a club, it'd be a nightmare.
    Thats very true in the case when clubs have the right gear. Oddly enough, even tho NZ is the home of Serato. There are clubs here that dont have gear. Which is mental. However i have played out on my DDJS1 which I throw a Keyboard stand under and its epic, iv played a couple gigs on the dance floors, which was scary but but the crowd behaved and it was amazing being amgnst it. Kinda how Girl Talk does. Worth a try fellas its a good time

Tech Wizard

I was thinking of getting cdj-850's and a denon x1600, but now im debating getting the ddj-nx and two cdj 850's. It would be the same price and i would still be able to learn on cdj's with usb's if i want or use the serato.

Only thing im not sure of is if i can use the dedicated filters when using the mixer as standalone. Or if the support for the 850 for serato dj will be there.

hmm i might need to check this rekordbuddy program out if it works as described then it would be ACE
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Tech Student

the SX CAN be applied in a club setting but i think pioneer was shooting more for the mobile DJ market when they built this controller. of course we all know dj booths are cramped in one way or another and you'll still find 1200s and/or CDJs, most likely a pioneer djm of some sort or rane 57/62/68 or no mixer at all. but the sx is a very capable unit that has more than enough features to compliment both the club and mobile DJ alike.

as for the Z2, looks like a promising piece of gear in terms of it's features. although pictures just don't do it justice and i would like to get a hands on demo to get a good feel of it's quality. having touched the S4 which this looks to be of a similar build giving off a plastic feel that of a kids toy. but i sure wouldn't rush out to be one of the first to own it as this is NI's first hardware mixer that requires the connection of external sources ie cd players, turntables, etc. but if it turns out be a solid build i can see a lot of DJs at least converting over to traktor to use this mixer, especially those that aren't already on the rane mixers.

and the whole serato/traktor debate about which one is better all boils down to preference. which software/hardware combination suits you best and your playing style? personally, i use serato because of the video aspect. i still DJ as i would if it were analog without the need for all the effects that traktor has to offer. i've seen great things come from traktor and i have nothing bad to say about it as i've never used it since what traktor offers i have no real use for. i think if traktor brought video capability into the software, the Z2 just might find it's way into my setup.

Tech Guru

Z2 is nice but will there be a z4?.....

i just bough the DDJ-SX few days back

the only problem with is, is that i have switched from serato to Traktor for many years now, and i have built up a good traktor collection, all gridded, hot cues and all, the DDJ-SX really got me into Serato again but im really not ready to sacrifice my time and effort to move all my collection into Serato again, so at the moment the way I use the DDJ-SX is really just for jamming at home

there is a traktor mapping for it out already (saw it in djtt mappings page) but i havent tried it out

for those traktor users (like me) who are thinking of getting the DDJ-SX - its really a good solid device, the best controller i ever used - and i owned the Traktor S4/S2/VCI300 in the past, this one kills all the competition, the jogwheels are big and responsive, the pitch sliders are full length, cdj-style, the strip search bar is awesome, good hotcue pads - ITS DA SHIT!! like everything i could ever wanted in a controller - including replaceable crossfaders - the only thing is that.... its for Serato

for Serato users or people who dont mind switching into serato - at $999 its a steal! for traktor users - i dont think there will be a mapping that can replicate the same hardware/software integration the way the DDJ-sx works with Serato dj at the moment, so, yeah....

just my 2 cents
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast