Underwhelmed with new Sony V6 cans. Thoughts?

Default Underwhelmed with new Sony V6 cans. Thoughts?

Just received the first DJ headphones I've had in about a decade. They're more flat than I expected, and I'm curious how this will affect DJ'ing.

Back in the day I used the bass-heavy 700's, but it's been long enough that the only thing my ears are accustomed to are the bass-heavy Klipsch earbuds I wear around town. I just went back and forth between them and the V6's, and I felt much more "in the music" with the buds, while the cans I felt like I was simply listening to a track. Granted, the earbuds are more expensive. http://www.klipsch.com/image-s4i-black-in-ear-headset

I was on the fence about the V6's, and was considering everything from them, on up through the HJD-2000's. I'm obviously now experiencing some buyer's remorse, especially since I'm within Amazon's return window. http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=58799

I'm using them at work off my volume-limited computer, so perhaps this will change when on a powered mixer. That said, I feel like the cans are lacking in punch. Sure, they're pretty flat and true, great for production uses. But I got them specifically for DJ'ing, so I'm curious to hear if cans like the HD25's, Aiaiai's, and HDJ2000's are going to have more...kick, being something I figure is helpful for beatmatching, etc.

Caveat: perhaps I'll also them as a reference for recorded/SoundCloud'ed DJ sets, but figure that is a secondary concern.

I'm pretty new to anything beyond bedroom DJ'ing. Do people like flat while banging out mixes? Or are bass-exaggerated cans like the 700's (and 2000s? I dunno if they are..) something that other DJ's prefer as well? And what are the more punchy, kicky, bass heavy options out there?
    Last edited by Ever; 10-04-2012 at 02:20 PM.

I think the v6s are better headphones than the 700s for sure. They were the first headphones I had for DJing and I still use them for production. They are definitely flatter than something like the 2000s or my xd53s, and they need to be connected to a decent mixer/amp for them to get loud- they sound a lot better plugged into a DJ mixer than an ipod or integrated pc soundcard. I still prefer bassier headphones for DJing and like the xd53s a bit more, but would take v6s over sony 700s for sure.

OK great, thx for the heads up. I'll see how they sound coming off the Rane later on. (oldschool mp22z, baby). Any other options between the price points of the V6 at the bottom and the 2000's on top?

It's been a handful of years, but also I recall the 700's being thuddier but also being really uncomfortable. The earcups were way too shallow.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

They deffo need a decent source to get the best from them - they are VERY well isolated, you wont have a problem hearing them in a club or even stadium. They are my fav cans for DJ'ing with for the past 12 yrs, and I've used alot of headphones.

With the exception of the HD25's I just find the majority too heavy or bulky or just lacking .. I went into a headphone shop last weekend to see if I could find something that would replace them "eventually"

Tried Vmoda's, TMA's (which sucked IMHO), Pio's etc .. and nothing came close to either the range I'm used to, or the sound quality.

The ONLY headphones (surprisingly) which sounded as good in range and clarity were Marshall Majors, HD25's and Superlux 662's .. but the superlux's were GIGANTIC.

I've had to replace the pads a few times, but they still sound great - the v700's were too Bass and weight heavy, too huge, and way too easy to break the hinges, uncomfortable as hell, after an hour my neck would be aching.
    Last edited by deevey; 10-04-2012 at 09:10 PM.

V6's are legend

Tech Guru

I had 7506's and also had HDJ-2000's. The HDJ ARE superior headphones but man I really appreciated the value of the 7506's after I spent 250.00 on headphones. The 7506's are an awesome bang for your buck. They really are not that far behind.

I currently use V-Moda's and prefer them over both, but I would use 7506's again in a heartbeat.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Kaskade tours with the MDR-7506 and Farina uses the V6 which are both the exact same headphones. I mean, these are their go to headphones for touring. If they are good enough for them, I don't see how they can't be for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
    Kaskade tours with the MDR-7506 and Farina uses the V6 which are both the exact same headphones. I mean, these are their go to headphones for touring. If they are good enough for them, I don't see how they can't be for you.
    That's far from the best way to choose a set of headphones. Different people look for different things in headphones, different peoples ears hear things differently...Take the TMA's for example, I've heard from some people they are the "best headphones ever!!11" and others think they're terrible.

Heck on that theory Guetta uses Beats. Beats headphones must be great.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post
    Heck on that theory Guetta uses Beats. Beats headphones must be great.
    As it goes for DJ performance all you need is something thats loud enough that you can hear the parts of a song you need to mix over the booth monitors, the characteristics you need in a headphone for Home DJ'ing, reference or Production go straight out the window in leu of Raw power and isolation. Heck I used a pair of 9.99 Ross headphones for over a year in a venue with 25k of turbo and 2k of booth monitors that did the job just fine until the headband gave up.

If it were only for DJ'ing use I would certainly "consider" Vmoda's, Pioneer's etc...but I don't like doubling up on gear unnecessarily and the V6's are perfect "any-situation" headphones. But pretty much any reasonably isolated modern headphone over $30 would the job in the DJ box just fine in a pinch if needed.

To be honest I think the beats mixr's actually look like really well designed, well engineered headphones properly suited to club DJ'ing - just super overpriced.

Thanks for all the feedback, been helpful.

I spent time lastnight with the V6's coming out of a proper mixer, and they were much more impactful. They distort at max volume off a Rane mp22z, but I figure I shouldn't really be playing them that loud.
    Last edited by Ever; 10-05-2012 at 02:57 PM.