1200s + SSL user thinking of jumping to CDJs

Default 1200s + SSL user thinking of jumping to CDJs

Hey guys, I currently use a pair of 1200 mk3s w/ a DJM-400 and SSL to mix house, dubstep & dnb. I'm very accustomed to the 1200s + SSL + Dicers workflow; I have my entire library set up with cue points in SSL, for use with the dicers (most of the cue points are just at the start of the track). I play out about twice a month, and I drag all my equipment with me when I do, which is a huge pain: 1200s + flight cases = 50 lbs each.

I've been considering some kind of upgrade, with a budget of about $3000. My desire to upgrade is somewhat driven by a desire for a 3rd deck when mixing, and also by having a lighter load to carry. I don't really have room for a 3rd 1200, and I'd need to buy a new SSL box (I have the SL-1).

I'm not sure what reasonable upgrade paths I have. The options that I've been thinking about are:
    -upgrade mixer to DJM-900 or DB2, so I have 4 channels for future upgrade possibilities ($1500-$1700)
    -switch decks to CDJ-900s, leaving the mixer upgrade for later ($2200)
    -switch decks to CDJ-2000s, leaving the mixer upgrade for much later ($3200)
    -stretch my budget, get a new mixer AND CDJ-900s ($3700)
    -do nothing, because none of these upgrades are significant enough for the price

Basically, I'm not sure that whether of these upgrades are worth making, and I'd like some advice, especially from any people who've made the vinyl/CDJ jump recently.

i haven't made this so called "jump" and I'm a new member,
    but ill chime in just because

personally, if u want to incorporate a 3rd or 4th player of some sort, your going to need a new mixer and serato box. so if your main goal is to expand your abilities, then i would go this route first, and then save up for 2 new CDJ's a little later. which won't take as long as getting CDJ's first then buying the mixer.
    but if your main goal is to lighten your load, id get CDJ 900's and the new serato box. that way, your in like a middle area, where all you'll need is a new mixer, to expand deck capabilities, and you still have a light load to carry around to gigs.
    im not sure about the weights of the 900's vs the 2000's. and choosing between the 2 also, u also have to consider which one is better for u as a dj. i use SSL in relative mode so i don't need many loop buttons on my decks, and WARNING DEFF A NEWB ADVICE PORTION, from what it seems to me, the 2000's offer a lot more control on the deck itself, but if your just gonna use dicers or a midi controller for cues loops id stick with the 900s that have less on-board control,

but considering ur even thinking about stretching the budget, id go for the 900s and the mixer at the same time. people who consider usually won't die if they actually do it.

persoanlly, if i was in this situation tho, id go for CDJ 900's, and a new serato box, it lightens ur load, and sets u up for mixing with 3+ decks.
    Simplicity is Beautiful

Just buy one cd player and the SL-3 or 4, keep your 12s and have the cd as the third deck. Then you can see whether you want to swap out your techs for another cd player or keep them. My prediction is you'll keep them. But if not, sell them and your serato box (which won't lose too much value) and buy a mixer and another cdj. blammo.

oh yeah and of your mixer options I'd definitely push the db2 (esp if you're getting rid of serato), but beware you won't have enough inputs to properly run serato if that's an issue.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

replace 1200's with denon's sc3900, use them in hybrid midi mode which would enable you to also ditch the dicers. easy

Tech Wizard

1200's > All

If you want something lightweight, go for the cdj 850. If i remember correct it felt like half the weight of a cdj 2000 but you could just check out pioneers site