Armin Van Buuren High Tech Setup Explained

Default Armin Van Buuren High Tech Setup Explained

Pretty slick:

>

Tech Mentor

Pretty awesome, I think it was deadmau5 who tried to reign in his own hate on dj's with his "we all press play, we can't do what we do and have awesome lightshows." he should spend an afternoon with Armin.
    A couple of things are getting at me though. he matches the tempo of each side of his signal tracks, with their corresponding audio track, does that mean that he has to adjust the pitch fader on two decks every time he wants to adjust the tempo of the mix? and what about nudging the jog wheel the way he does in the video? is his signal track now a fraction of a bpm ahead or behind?
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

culture shock, i was thinking the same thing about changing the tempo and having to move it on two decks. it seemed like everything was still looking good even though he was nudging the cdj platter, so it probably doesn't matter too much if it's marginally off. if you pick the right graphics it can be smoother, and maybe sander is able to do some micro adjustments as well in these cases.

i will say the more i see armin the more i like him. i don't generally care for trance or his style but i think i would go check out one of his shows if it was reasonably priced. he just seems like a really cool guy and i like that's he always giving these little behind the scenes of how he works with technology.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Quote Originally Posted by Culture_Shock View Post
    Pretty awesome, I think it was deadmau5 who tried to reign in his own hate on dj's with his "we all press play, we can't do what we do and have awesome lightshows." he should spend an afternoon with Armin.
    A couple of things are getting at me though. he matches the tempo of each side of his signal tracks, with their corresponding audio track, does that mean that he has to adjust the pitch fader on two decks every time he wants to adjust the tempo of the mix? and what about nudging the jog wheel the way he does in the video? is his signal track now a fraction of a bpm ahead or behind?
    With small adjustments and nudging he wouldn't bother. You would find that at the back of a crowded Trance Gig like his, that the Audio and Visuals will be out of sync regardless of whether he Matched the two decks perfectly or not.

This is because light travels considerably faster than sound does. At 100 meters back, you're already sitting at a (Approx) 300MS Delay between you seeing the video and hearing the audio. Any small nudges to the visual track would only really be appropriate for people sitting within meters... which of course is a bit useless with Giant LED Panels.

To think of it another way, if you've ever been to a festival, and seen the DJ Clapping but wonder to yourself whether he has a poor sense of timing as he seems to be clapping ahead of the music, It's probably the delay between you seeing the visual and hearing the sound.

As for larger adjustments, I imagine (This is just speculation), that he would just move both pitch faders at the same time. By the time the Click track and the audio is far enough out of sync to matter, he'd already be in his next piece. I'd say that with the new Nexus 2000's coming out, He'd have Decks C-A, and decks B-D Tempo Sync'd so he could work it with just one fader.

Quote Originally Posted by Culture_Shock View Post
    Yeah. I would use sync for sure.

>

I got really distracted when the screen showed "gone with it's meaning" in the background.

Tech Mentor

genius. bit of a pain doing the dual decks... and always needing to temp sync the "video code" deck... and chat back and forth... but wow, can't deny it doesn't work.
    13" Macbook Air (OS 10.8/256GB SSD/4GB RAM) | Traktor S2
    Latest DJ Recording: The Wedding Set (40 Minute House Set)

Tech Mentor

great video, awesome DJ.
    DJ Setup: MacBook Pro, TSP 2.5, (2) Stanton STR8-100, Ecler NUO4, Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, Stanton DJ Pro 2000 headphones, Ortofon Nightclub needles.