DB4/K2's vs Z2/F1/X1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default DB4/K2's vs Z2/F1/X1

So what does everyone think? It seems you don't really need a four channel mixer anymore and I honestly can't see NI releasing a Z4. I love the DB4 concept but NI really have me drooling over the two deck/eight remix decks configuration. Hot Topic!

Tech Guru

Of course they'll release a Z4, they're probably just waiting for all the DJs to get back from Ibiza to test the new equipment, I'm guessing it won't come out till next year.

They're both good setups, depends if you need the remix decks really

Quote Originally Posted by kenty View Post
    ... I honestly can't see NI releasing a Z4.
    What makes you say that? I would bet on it being their next big product if the Z2 does well.

As a DB2 owner I'd have a hard time going to 2 faders. Also the Z2 effects are just the Traktor effects which I already have with the X1 and I'd really miss the ability to use effects with vinyl. Not to mention the A&H effects are just butter compared to Traktor.

The 2 product lines are directed at very different audiences though. A&H are much more general use. NI are all about tight integration with Traktor and if you ever leave that software, you probably won't be taking much of their gear with you.

I do like the Z2 though. I hope it succeeds and that they do a 4 channel version.

Tech Mentor

[QUOTE=Nick V;536285]What makes you say that?

Most people generally seem to use just two decks and remix decks these days.
    Last edited by kenty; 10-05-2012 at 08:44 AM.

"I'd really miss the ability to use effects with vinyl"

i can use effects with vinyl....internal or external mixing... why wouldnt anyone?
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    i can use effects with vinyl....internal or external mixing... why wouldnt anyone?
    Was my impression that effects only worked with internal mode. Still not really sure how they have set up the internal/external mixing yet so I may be off

Vinyl works fine external but the vinyl goes internal so it's kind of a misnomer; you have to play the vinyl through Traktor's Live input or whatever it's called, so your vinyl sound is routed through one of the Traktor decks just like you would a mic or whatever. This wreaks havoc on volume balance of course since the live input volume is really low.

Not to mention the A&H effects are just butter compared to Traktor.
    True but Traktor has chained effects; that is one significant limitation of the DB4. (Not the DB2 anymore though)....
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I don't really seem them as comparable really, then again I'm not into the remix decks and the z2 doesn't offer anything exciting to me.

My pick would be DB4/2 with X1s and F1s. 2 track decks + 2 remix decks needs 4 channels of mixer. X1 + F1 work great together.
    Last edited by Scaper7; 10-06-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Tech Mentor

Just to clarify, the F1 has the volume faders for the remix decks but do you also need to allocate a channel on your external mixer for them too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast