Macbook Pro Is Very Slow
    Tech Guru

Default Macbook Pro Is Very Slow

got a macbook pro with an 2.3 ghz i5 and 8 gig of ram. Its allways runned slow compared to windows or any linux distro but now it is crawling and causing audio drop outs. Any suggestions of what I can do. Used activity monitor the window manager doing nothing is using 11% cpu at times firefox around 33%.

Sounds weird, that should be a wicked fast system. How much disk space do you have left, VM needs 10-20Gb or so? You are not running Flash content maybe, that chews CPU cycles like crazy on any system.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Wizard

Do you put you computer to sleep more often than you do shut it down? If so, that could be the problem.
    Last edited by xstevenx; 10-06-2012 at 12:30 AM.
    15" Macbook Pro (2.0 GHz Core i7, 16 GB) Mac OS X 10.7 Ableton Suite 9. iPad (Liine Lemur).

Should be a fast machine. My guess is a hard drive issue. Verify your disk.
    Used Record Shopper

Tech Guru

I had some drama with an app (notably Paragon NTFS) sucking the life out of my macbook. Fucked it off and its all good now.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Verify your disk and repair disk permissions ..

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    got a macbook pro with an 2.3 ghz i5 and 8 gig of ram. Its allways runned slow compared to windows or any linux distro but now it is crawling and causing audio drop outs. Any suggestions of what I can do. Used activity monitor the window manager doing nothing is using 11% cpu at times firefox around 33%.
    Definitely not a RAM issue, 8gb is more than enough. I would recommend doing exactly what I did to my 13" Macbook Pro (2010)

Back up all of your files with time machine
    Buy a new internal hard drive - I'd recommend the Seagate Momentus XT 750gb Hybrid drive (I've got this in now and my mac runs like lightning)
    Install the new drive and import all of your files over time machine (Loads of tutorials on Youtube for swapping out hard drives and how to clean install)

This should sort you out

If you can't find what's draining the cpu, I'd try a fresh install of the OS before you buy a new hard drive - there might be something running you can't locate - and it saves you forking out for a new HD if it solves it.
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

im going to upgrade to a ssd when the 500gig ones come down under 150 quid. I never restart any of my laptops apart from updates. SO my mac was restarted a few days ago. The disk has been full but g tot 140 gig free now. Apple say you dont need to defrag there systems is there a way

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by tombruton69 View Post
    im going to upgrade to a ssd when the 500gig ones come down under 150 quid. I never restart any of my laptops apart from updates. SO my mac was restarted a few days ago. The disk has been full but g tot 140 gig free now. Apple say you dont need to defrag there systems is there a way
    idefrag or Techtool Pro ...

I use Techtool which I boot from my external USB drive as a separate partition and it always feels like i'm using a new computer after you do all the scans and optimizations.