Music influences - where do you get them?
    Tech Wizard

Default Music influences - where do you get them?

Hey all!

New to the forum, was DJ:ing a lot about 10-12 years ago, then daytime job came in and destroyed everything. Now I'm back and want to pick up DJ:ing again, this time electronically (got a vci-100 ,traktor and some other midi playthings)

So to my question, where do you get your influences from? Back in the day it was more what the local record shop had in stock that was played, atleast for me coming from a smaller town. But now we have the mighty internet, and about 1000 blogs per music genre all pumping out their remix of the latest tune.

I find it rather hard to skim through the music that's available and find the good stuff. Also I find that beatport can be quite overwhelming with their vast catalogue.

So how do you do it? Other DJs, blogs, radio, tv, clubs etc?

Also, on a side note, what would you classify music like justice, boyz noize, goose as? Electro house?

Over and out!

..you could check out last.fm for the beginning..there are lots of other places!

http://www.last.fm/

this is a good starting point for sure.

you can also check out what other members are listening to or like to listen..

http://www.last.fm/user/compact71
    Last edited by compact; 06-28-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johan View Post
    Hey all!

New to the forum, was DJ:ing a lot about 10-12 years ago, then daytime job came in and destroyed everything. Now I'm back and want to pick up DJ:ing again, this time electronically (got a vci-100 ,traktor and some other midi playthings)

So to my question, where do you get your influences from? Back in the day it was more what the local record shop had in stock that was played, atleast for me coming from a smaller town. But now we have the mighty internet, and about 1000 blogs per music genre all pumping out their remix of the latest tune.

I find it rather hard to skim through the music that's available and find the good stuff. Also I find that beatport can be quite overwhelming with their vast catalogue.

So how do you do it? Other DJs, blogs, radio, tv, clubs etc?

Also, on a side note, what would you classify music like justice, boyz noize, goose as? Electro house?

Over and out!
    I bought mine at Wal-Mart during their Boxing Day Specials.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Tech Guru

i draw influences from everywhere,everything. there's no sense in listing it all.

justice and boyz noize etc. are electrohouse artists.

Tech Mentor

hypemachine seems to be one of the best options to keep an overview of most of the blogs out there.
    i use it a lot to find new remixes (that i try to find in an online store if i like them...i try not to go the easy way and just rip them from the blogs) and then there's the page on hypem that shows the most popular tracks which can be useful as well (i check that page at least once a week).

here's the link: http://hypem.com

Quote Originally Posted by chrismp View Post
    hypemachine seems to be one of the best options to keep an overview of most of the blogs out there.
    i use it a lot to find new remixes (that i try to find in an online store if i like them...i try not to go the easy way and just rip them from the blogs) and then there's the page on hypem that shows the most popular tracks which can be useful as well (i check that page at least once a week).

here's the link: http://hypem.com
    the only reason i rarely use hypem is because it skims blogs in only a couple of genres it seems. there's an overwhelming amount of indie rock and electro, but not really anything else. there will be the occasional rap tune but aside from those it's pretty electro/indie specific. we need more diversity!
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the hypem tip, didn't even know it existed (maybe due to me not being hip lol). Just my type of music as well!

Anyone going to the ed banger 6 1/2 party on the 10th of july in London btw?

Quote Originally Posted by johan View Post
    Music influences - where do you get them?
    Cant you just go down to Walmart lol jk

My biggest influences have actually all probably come off youtube as far as technique goes closely followed by the large amount of material i read on live performance and product.

As far as music goes i guess that comes from talking to friends with similar tastes than i do and having discussions about different artists.

As far as finding new music on my own goes internet radio, blogs, lastfm - i try not to crawl sites like beatport which are mostly filled full of crap. I find it better to try and filter the crap by using music suggestion services as i can spend hours on sites like beatport that sell mp3's and not find a whole lot of good stuff. Thats not to say its not there, its just hard to find amongst all the crap.

Tech Mentor

haha, now that you mentioned ed banger i'm sure you'll find sth you like on hypem.
    like hipnotikk said it's great for finding new electro tunes...unfortunately i dont know anything like it in the hip hop genre.

i wish i could go to that party, but i have work to do back home