Lower End Soundcards that still pack a punch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Lower End Soundcards that still pack a punch

Hey guys...I need a cheap soundcard as I've finally gotten my first gig ready to go in about a month, and it's for a friend's birthday at a bar. I'm expecting them to have at least equipment or at least a mixer, but I'm worrying a little bit because I only have a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro which works perfectly with my headphones to monitor my mixes that I do at home and so on. The thing is, I'm about to order a VCI-100 SE and it's going to arrive just before the gig, so I don't have much money left for a soundcard. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to lower end soundcards that are basic and can still carry the load of this task. I'm hoping to spend as little as possible. I'd probably say around $50 and even less if possible, but I know it's a really tight budget so I guess I could go up to a $100 if necessary. I really just need 2 output channels for the the main output which will get lined into their mixer or sound system and also a slot for my headphones to go in (or 4 channels....I guess I could split my headphone wire into two channels using an extension wire). I don't really need input channels at the moment. I have a MacBook Pro, so I don't really care whether it uses firewire, usb, or the express card slot. I have been looking at the Maya 44 usb and I like it because it's fairly simple but it's still a bit pricey for me. It also have 4 input channels if I'm not mistaken (which i do not need).

Thanks and sorry if this has already been asked but I couldn't find anything useful as the article about soundcards under $200 wasn't really going to cut it for me because I'm not even getting paid for this gig so I'm not earning any cash from DJing just yet.
    Last edited by kevzzz; 06-28-2009 at 12:14 PM.

probably your best bet:

http://www.numark.com/djio
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

that's definitely an option of mine
    but before I go and give in i want to know if there are any cheaper choices as $100 at the moment is still a bit steep for me and I'm sure my parents won't agree to spending another $100 on top of the $550 (VCI-100SE) + shipping and so on
    does anyone know if the Behringer UCA202 USB is any good? http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUCA202
    or do you think my Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro and my built in macbook pro drive can handle a small gig like this?

thanks for the quick reply btw

Tech Mentor

A gigaport?

Quote Originally Posted by kevzzz View Post
    does anyone know if the Behringer UCA202 USB is any good?
    That wont let you headphone monitor. Basically its one in and one out.

Probably your cheapest and best bet is the Maya 44 http://www.djdeals.com/egosystemsMAYA44USB.htm

Its hard to find a sound card for under $100 that provides you the channels correctly for both an out and another channel to monitor on. You can use a 5.1 channels sound card and asio4all driver, but results are spotty at best that way.
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Tech Wizard

The maya 44 usb is an option but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get it due to it's price. I'm sorry if i sound super cheap, but considering the fact that I'm just starting out and I'm not getting any money from my first gig, I really don't feel like i should be spending that much. Any other solutions out there? Are the creative 5.1 usb soundcards at least acceptable in quality (ex. http://us.creative.com/products/prod...ct=17751&nav=1) Like just to get me started so that eventually, when I land gigs that require more from my soundcard I'll be ready to dish out the cash.

That sucks about the Behringer UCA202 USB but would it be feasible to just use the two channel output to be connected to the clubs mixer and I just route my monitoring channel to my built in soundcard as I can manage with bad quality sound because I'm the only one who hears it. Does that work? Does anyone have a Behringer UCA202 USB? does it do the job well enough?
    ** I looked up another behringer device...the UCA222 http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA222.aspx which has a headphone output...any clue on whether this is good?**

thanks again
    Last edited by kevzzz; 06-28-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Tech Wizard

i have a clear gigaport that i can do $55 shipped within the US. its used and a bit old but works flawlessly.

I would look at the Indigo iDJx
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

get a regular vci-100 and spend more money on a soundcard.

I say just bite the bullet and get an audio 4. its not the cheapest but dollar for dollar its the best. IMO. you may not be getting paid now, but if you sound the best you can sound ther is a better chance of you getting more gigs, Also if ou do start giggin more you are gonna eventually need a quality soundcard. Your most important gear is your laptop and soundcard. Trust me I started with a Maya 44 and I totally feel like I wasted my money when I hooked up my audio 8 in the same systems. Its well worth the extra effort to get some extra scratch in your pocket.

Cheap cards sound cheap.

Trust me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast