I'm a complete newcomer...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default I'm a complete newcomer...

Hi, so for over the last 6 months or so i've been thinking of getting into DJing. Just got back from travelling Asia for 3 months, i've got £10,000 in the bank and want to give music a real shot while i'm unemployed. I will prob practice for 3-4 hours a day.

Basically i need advice off you good people on what to actually buy. I've looked at some equipment and the Numark NS6 looks to be my best bet. I've got a laptop but i'm not sure if it would be stable enough. It's a HP G62 notebook, It's got 4gb of RAM, Triple core.

I'm not really interested in becoming an amazing DJ, i just wanna be good enough to play gigs and to be able to put my own songs in sets.
    I'm guessing it will take me 1-2 years to get to a decent level? I have no idea :s

So any advice on decks, mixers, speakers, headphones would be very welcome I'm prob gunna put a 2000 budget on it, don't wanna spend all my dosh ha.

edit to say i've got some Sennheiser 380 hd pros that i use when making songs on Reason, will these do for DJing? Also got some small but loud M Audio monitor speakers.

Thank you

Tech Mentor

Have you ever tried or had any experience with it before? £2000 for a very first set-up seems like a lot (unless that includes the laptop cost). I think most people here would recommend you to get a decent controller first, just to see what's what, and whether it's a hobby you'll enjoy and want to pursue.

Tech Wizard

I did vinyl for a few hours at college about 4 years ago, thats all ha. Ye prob wont spend 2000, more like 1,500 at a push. I think the ns6 is around 700, so maybe might only spend 1200, depends on what recommendations i get.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

NS6 is more than good for beginner which software do you prefer?

Tech Wizard

I've never used any DJ software so don't have a clue ha

Well NS6 ships with serato and traktor mapping seem to be poorly integrated with this unit. One more bad thing is portability.. I think that you should go for VDJ beginner range controller at this point.

Tech Wizard

Any suggestions for a begginer controller? Is the pioneer ddj s1 better than the ns6? It's overwhelming looking at all the different reviews on youtube etc :s

S2? it has enough buttons and knobs to keep you busy and is reasonably priced. It sounds like you have everything you need for the time being to get going. Your headphones and speakers are fine for the time being. What kind of tunes are you going to be playing?

Tech Wizard

Just seen that Pioneer DDJ SX, it's out Nov 1st, would that be a good option? The NS6 seems to very similiar from what i've read though. I will be wanting to play, Drum n bass, electro house, dubstep, brostep, prog house, quite a mix really. I know whats good though, i've got loads of ideas for songs which will mix well. At the moment i'm listening to Knife Party, Kill the noise, Porter Robinson, Zedd, Deadmau5, Feed Me, The M Machine, Skrillex, Koan Sound, Xkore, Zomboy, Tommy Trash, Pendulum, The Prodigy, Sub Focus to name a few. So will prob use quite alot of their songs plus others to start off with.

Personally I would never buy it and rather go for used CDJ's for that amount of money. What do you think of this one?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast