Clipping & Line Levels
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Clipping & Line Levels

Ok guys,

There doesnt seem to be a thread that explains clipping and how to avoid and i could do with some more info on it so come on lest have it

I know what clipping is but how do i know its happening? Red lights on my mixer ? is it as simple as that ?

but can it clip before the mixer ie in traktor ? how do i know its happening ?

then i guess it can happen as it goes through the amp ? how do i know ?

How do you guys keep a handle on clipping audio.

Educate me

Many Thanks in advance all

Gav
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Jack Bastard

Make sure that none of your meters are banging against the end into the red. That goes from the channel gain to the traktor master output to the channel gain on the mixer to the output of the mixer to the output of the amp.

RED=BAD

(Unless you're using a Pioneer mixer, which seem to be setup so that you have to go a bit into the red)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    RED=BAD

(Unless you're using a Pioneer mixer, which seem to be setup so that you have to go a bit into the red)
    I'm using a Pioneer djm600

With regards to traktor though it has autogain which seems to take it into the red slightly. Does this mean i'm clipping ?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Autogain only levels out the volumes of the tracks. Limiter will stop Clipping but many people dont like limiters as they suck the life out of a track to stop clipping.

Best just to set your master volume lower and ride the channel faders or use autogain in PRO or the the Gain controls on the Mixer (if it has them)

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The point you know you're really clipping is when you hear it.

The best way to avoid clipping is to set your levels on your mixer to a sustainable level. I would do this by getting the sound out of Traktor, in my headphones, to a sound and quality I like. Then I send it to the mixer and, leaving the gain and EQ toward the middle, turn up the volume. I'd set it to around "6" or above half but less than three quarters up. Now I fine tune it with the EQ and gain on the mixer (if I'm using one, if not just the VCI-100. If you're using Auto Gain then make sure the Master Out levels never hit a certain point). Assuming I'm using an external mixer to hit the speakers (which I almost always am), I follow the red line, and cross reference that with my ears by going to the dance floor, toward the middle and listening to it.

Realistically you want to provide the most pleasant listening experience for your crowd. So make sure it isn't too loud, especially when it's early, and as the night goes on, keep checking. Try to keep the gain readouts toward the same level, as this will normalize the sound as you increase the volume. There are a few threads here on gain/clipping use.

If you start to clip, I'd just tweak the gain down, and the EQ. I've found that it starts sounding a LOT better as you do this, but you won't lose the oomph of the track. You might actually start getting it back.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I know there are issues with Ableton & Traktor syncing but what about simply routing audio to Ableton from Traktor? Would it be possible to basically just use ableton as one master level? If so you could easily use their master limiter for this.

A little overkill for a clipping issue but just a thought.
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

You don't want to rely on a limiter to keep you from clipping. It will take all of the oomph and power out of your music.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Never knew this .. everyday is a school day.

When i get home this evening the limiter will be permanantly turned off!!!

Well, the limiter isn't a bad thing, man. It's a balance thing. Having it on as a safety precaution is good. I always have mine on. But I take time to make sure my levels are set appropriately so I don't have to use it.

If you rely on the limiter to keep your levels even it will just slowly wind down the dynamics and eventually you'll clip anyway. Really the readout shouldn't be bouncing in the red that much. Hell, you should see the wave forms I record for friends. They are so small. But they still sound loud.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Maybe the autogain feature then, as that takes each channel to border red doesnt it? So when you got two/three/four tracks playing that must be being limited at the master?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast